Can you simply "ignore" a summons to Jury dutie? its not like it sent priority and you have to sign for it.

I got sent a Jury duty summons today, and I don't want to participate. I have a full time job that wont pay me to miss work days, and two children, not to mention I'm a single mom-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband thinks you can get fined if you ignore it, but he isn't sure.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No, I don't believe you can ignore a jury duty summons. I have recieved many of them. I run a daycare from home and connot afford to go to these either. I have to write a letter explaing to the judge why I cannot make it. I am usually excused for this reason. I would call your local chamber of commerece of the number they sent you and find out what you need to do to see if you can excused.
    KiKiSoup

Answer by KiKiSoup at 11:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It's sort of your civil duty. Take the day off and find a sitter. When you get in there they will probably not want you on the jury anyway. One day, that's it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Op here, I know they summon a ton of people and just kind of pick and choose, but I can't risk getting chosen and have to spend days out of work-
    We all know there is that risk- I don't know what kind of case this is, it could be something small that takes 2 days, or something large that takes weeks-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I do all the time, there is not certificate of receipt. If I am ever asked (never have been) I'd just say never got it thanks!!
    Anonymous

• I forgot to go a couple of weeks ago. Just let your job know in advance that you might have to go, they can't penalize you for missing work for jury duty. You call in the night before and find out if your group even has to go. I have gotten 3 summons and have only had to go in once. You can also get a postponement but you have to send in your paper within 5 days.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If you act like you don't want to be there, or if you act biased, they will definitely not choose you. If you even get that far. You might call in the night before and already be dismissed, or you could be dismissed just sitting there because they found everyone they need.

I'm pretty sure you get a warrant if you don't show up.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• NO, YOU CANNOT JUST IGNORE THE SUMMONS. YOU CAN BE FINED AND/OR JAILED. IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY TO SERVE ON JURY DUTY. THE COURT SYSTEM IS NOT GOING TO CARE IF YOU HAVE KIDS, DON'T GET PAID FOR IT AT WORK, OR PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING ELSE. I PULLED MY LUMBAR MUSCLE, WAS ON PAIN KILLERS, COULDN'T SIT OR STAND AND COULDN'T DRIVE AND I STILL HAD TO SERVE.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• if you have small children you can just write in the excuse box your the soul and only childcare provider for you children during the day and they will excuse you thats what I did and I get a letter back saying I was excused within a week. they don't provide daycare or the money to pay a sitter so theres no way they can make you if you are taking care of your children.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 11:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No, you MAY NOT ignore the summons. That could result in a warrant for your arrest and all kinds of other legal problems. Here's the code in my state (California): The juror summons is an official court order; failure to obey such an order could result in a finding of contempt; you could be arrested, fined or placed in jail.

Your job cannot penalize you for not going. But you can talk to the clerk of the court and get a postponement until a more convenient time, and make arrangements with the boss.

DO NOT SKIP. You NEED to go. Sorry. There aren't any ifs, ands or buts here.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2009