Update

Read my past questions if you don't know what's going on.
My sister's labor was stopped for now. Her doctor is out of town and the new one won't do an ultrasound - I really don't know wy; maybe Medicaid won't approve it. They're keeping her in the hospital and not letting her leave until she has the baby. I'm really hoping she can hold on at least until Wednesday so I can be there for her. If the baby is early, she's gonna need all the support she can get.

allans_girl

Asked by allans_girl at 11:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Medicaid should approve anything that's medically necessary, especially during a situation like this! I hope that's not the reason why she didn't have the ultrasound! If a doctor believes an ultrasound is medically necessary, medicaid should approve it. If the new doctor didn't do an ultrasound, he/she must have felt it was not necessary...now why, I dunno. In my opinion, they should do an ultrasound just to be on the safe side!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Well, she's trying to go into labor a month early - I would think she needs an ultrasound so they can check on the baby's lungs and know what they're up against!
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• that and they should give her something to stop labor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• They stopped it again, but that's the second time in a week that they've had to. I don't think she'll hold that baby in for much longer.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my sil had her baby at 34 weeks and he had to stay in the nicu for a week but they gave sil steroid shots to strengthen the baby's lungs, gl i hope she & the baby are both okay
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• They aren't giving her steroid shots because they don't know about the lungs. That's why I'm so irritated with them right now.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 12:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• An ultrasound won't show anything about the lungs. It's not necessary. The doctors know what they're doing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• The ultrasound could pinpoint a more accurate due date. My mother suspects that my sister is farther along than originally thought - she passed out early last November and admitted that she'd been sexually active.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 1:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• u/s aren't accurate after the 12th wk for due dates. they could use it to see about how big the baby is, but that can be off a lot (depending on the person, it can be off as much as 5lbs). they should do an u/s to check and see where her placenta is and also to check her cervix. to check for lung development, they would need to do an amniocentesis.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• they probably won't do an amniocentesis after the 6th month or so. But I do think your sis's doctor should try their best to stop the labor.....and depending on what drug they could be using to stop the labor, especially if they are using something like Ritodrine, they should DEFINITELY be monitering the baby with an ultrasound and fetal heart moniter.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 3:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009