How do you get your baby to sleep in his/her crib?

As soon as I lay my 8 month old in her crib, she immediately wakes up and screams until I pick her up. I let her cry for about 15 minutes, but it just breaks my heart and she seems to really be in distress! I need her out of our bed, but I can't stand to see her that way! Help!

HallesMom1212

Asked by HallesMom1212 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go check out drjaygordon.com. Look up "sleep." He has written a great article on transitioning baby from the family bed. He doesn't recommend doing it till the first birthday, but it's better than leaving baby to cry. NO ONE will get sleep that way.

Also google "Elizabeth Pantley." Her site will also help you

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• we started it with naps and then worked our way to bedtime. i think we moved our youngest into his crib a little after 6 months and lucky for us i guess it was a smooth transition. does he go to sleep with a pacifer or a bottle? that might help him soothe himself and fall asleep.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 12:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i had my daughter sleeping in her crib at 3 months. i didnt have room for everything to be up. so i had to start her off with crying for about 10 mins and then she was usually pretty tired so i rocked her to sleep and put her back in her bed. and just did that continuously until she got used to it. now i put her to bed at 7pm and she will just get comfy and take her bottle and drink it in her bed and then i give her her passy and she will pass out on her own. you just have to be discipled and really patient! =/ i wish i had an easier way. it took me 3 months for it to work out perfectly! lol.
    sarahbumblebee

Answer by sarahbumblebee at 1:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I know how you feel. But it is best for you and baby if he/she cry it out. I promise it will get easier. It used to take mine hours of crying himself to sleep, now its 1-15 mins. Try to go to the end of the house, put on a headset, if it bugs you. Patience is a virtue.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It used to take mine hours of crying himself to sleep, now its 1-15 mins. Try to go to the end of the house, put on a headset, if it bugs you. Patience is a virtue.

that's terrible.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:36 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Mine didn't sleep in his own bed until he was about a year old. He usually started out in his own bed, but he always ended up in our bed, since we were all in one room. You are all that baby wants, and having you makes them so happy. Is there a reason you need your baby out of the bed? Personally, I think the transition to their own bed is so much easier when they are older. By the time they are about a year, they realize that no, you don't just disappear at night time, you are always there. My son wanted to sleep in his own bed and the 2nd night he slept there through the night and has been doing so ever since (unless he decides he wants to sleep in our bed, which he's still perfectly welcome to do). I'd suggest waiting, but that's just me. Co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone, you have to do what works for you! You could try going in when she cries and comforting her but keep her in the room?
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 2:02 AM on Aug. 2, 2009