Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you heat formula??

Of course they tell you not to put it in the microwave, but if you use a glass bottle and shake really well wouldn't that be ok???

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (11)
  • I used plastic bottled and still used the microwave you just have to be really careful, plus you have to test the bottles before you give them to the baby. Also (if your baby is older) you could just use warm tap water. You can even heat water in a sauce pan and do it that way. :)
    Frogbaby83

    Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • i didn't heat my dd's formula, she was a july baby & didn't like it warm, i used room temperature bottled water
    josiesmommy00

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • well he was kinda getting breast milk but i got a container and put hot water in it and left his bottle in it for a few minutes than i checked it
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

    Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • no dont use the microwave. put the bottle in a cup, and turn you sink water on as hot as possible and let it run on the bottle in the cup, let it just keep running on it and filling up the cup. in about 2 minutes it will be nice and warm.
    PURPULbutterfly

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • I used put water in cup and put it the microwave for like 20 sec check it. I put the water in the bottle with the formula in afterwards. after shaking the bottle, the water was just about luke warm.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • no dont use the microwave. put the bottle in a cup, and turn you sink water on as hot as possible and let it run on the bottle in the cup, let it just keep running on it and filling up the cup. in about 2 minutes it will be nice and warm.

    this is exactly what I did...don't microwave.
    calliesmommie

    Answer by calliesmommie at 12:56 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • why does everyone say not to microwave? thats what i do and never had a problem..they say not to use it to prevent hot spots but if you mix it up afterwards there wont be any hot spots and make sure you check it on your wrist of course..i use the plastic bottles in the microwave..and when i use the drop-ins bottles i heat water on the stove and just let it sit in there for a minute and check it..never had a problem..i bought a bottle warmer and it got my bottle so frikn hot it burned my wrist, i had a red spot til the next day..so i dont recommend using that..i took mine back and got my money back.
    MaciesMommy09

    Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • Actually, microwaving can damage the nutrients in formula and especially breast milk, making it less nutritious for baby.
    mamapotter

    Answer by mamapotter at 5:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • Dont even get started on warming...You will be sorry later when you are dead tired and have an extra step to the bottle making process. Get some infant jugs of water, found at grocery and most other drug stores....called infant water....use that and the formula and that is all you need.....babies will like whatever they get used to...so if you start with room temp. they will prefer that.....my son will drink room temp and even cold formula...i tested this when he was screaming and i only had a cold bottle i had put in the fridge.......so warming is not necessary and i wish more ppl knew this!
    soveryconfused

    Answer by soveryconfused at 8:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • My son actually liked his cold so we kept a 24 hours worth of formula in a pitcher in the fridge. Room temp formula is just fine really as long as it hasnt been sitting out.

    I saw a PP mention infant water. The American Dental Association says that those types of water should not be used in infant formula because they contain too much fluoride and can damage teeth. The damage will looks like white or yellow blotches on their baby or adult teeth. I have these ugly blotches because of too much fluoride as a baby and it's just plain embarrassing.
    sk_tennyson

    Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.