advice for a new parent

So I started my ninth month on friday & i have 27 days [and counting] until my son is here! I'm a first time mom & TOTALLY freaking out! So what were something you wish someone would have told you, or whats some really good advice? I'm willing to hear anything! I need all the 'preperation' I can get!

JuwansMommy

Asked by JuwansMommy at 12:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You do whatever you are comfortable with. Do not let family and friends tell you what to do. Don't be afraid to ask questions or to speak up when you are uncomfortable with something. You are the one going through this not anyone else. You are gonna be great!!! Congratulations!!

good luck

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You're not alone!!! If able, Moms are GREAT helps: they've been through it before. :) My mom and I don't get along too well face-to-face, but she was a godsend with my first. Also, consider renting/borrowing a pump if you don't buy one: when your milk comes in, it comes in all at once, and that can HURT. Take deep breaths; don't worry about the hormones, everyone will understand and keep loving you. :)
    cocoamug

Answer by cocoamug at 12:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• make sure you have a bulb syringe handy because sometimes the formula shoots out threw there nose and they cant breath so u have to suck it out with the bulb syrange. if you can, have help. because its really tiring not getting any sleep. my mom helps me alot like 2 or 3 days a week still with night time feedings so that i can sleep and my son is 10 weeks old now. if you think hes pooping while your feeding him, dont get up and change his diaper right away, give him a few minutes because it takes them a little bit to finish and i used to get up and change his diaper as soon as i thought he pooped, and he would start pooping more while i was changing him and it would get everywhere, and change his diaper quick or you may get pee'd on. get a swing!! they love to be rocked. thats all i can think of for right now.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• 1.Take these last few days to relax, and sleep, because those days are LONG gone after this baby comes out. 2. Always go with your gut feeling, but take what others say and apply that to your thought process. 3.Don't always assume your the ONLY one who knows best for your baby, grandparents, sisters, friends, and even cafemom folk care about the wellbeing of all children, even if they show it in a backwards kind of way- 4.give hugs and kisses EVERYDAY and EVERYNIGHT- and make sure you ALWAYS say good night and goodbye- you will greatly miss those things if GOD FORBIDS something happens and are unable to do so anymore. 5.Don't do the "fair share"things with your kids (if you have mor than one) it will create life long problems between siblings, always promote sharing, instead of buying individual items.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• CON't If you plan of breastfeeding, DO NOT keep bottles or formula in the house, its always easy to give up when those things are around-

Other than that, just love him with everything, love is the key to being a good parent.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:11 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• The "experts" will change their minds just as soon as the latest study comes out. Or who pays them for their "opinion". The best experts are people you can call at 2 am and won't charge you 300 dollars for the privledge. (Mom, Grandma, Aunts, Sisters, Cousins, Dad, Grandpa, Uncles, Brothers who have all been there before you.) They do actually know what they are talking about 90% of the time.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:11 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you plan on breastfeeding, be committed. Sometimes it falls into place right away, and sometimes it is a challenge and a struggle. Get help if you suspect any problems immediately. Waiting will only exasperate the issues. Once you and your baby get the hang of it, it is smooth sailing from there!

squish

Answer by squish at 12:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you plan on breastfeeding:
    Don't buy a manual pump - they suck and take more work than they're worth.
    It's always good to pump and have milk stored even if you don't plan to leave your baby with anyone - you never know what will come up. I once had to have surgery for kidney stones and couldn't nurse for 2 days; I didn't have enough milk stored so I had to give him some formula and since he wasn't used to it, it made him sick.
    Spend a little more on the pump; it's worth it.

If you have a boy, when you go to change him, move the diaper away from his peepee, then put it back really quick. Otherwise, you're probably gonna get peed on.
    Never open more than one package of diapers at a time. Babies grow fast; if you have an unopened package, you can return them.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 12:24 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• oh and you don't need someone to help you at night that purple biznitch is just lazy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i wish someone would have told me as a first time mom that the recovery is WAY harder than the labor and delivery... you are going to have a period for weeks.. i wish i would have known that the first time... what else..hmm oh and ur boobs are not going to be the same... good luck
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2009