how can i potty train?

jl8fan

Asked by jl8fan at 12:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take them to the potty every hour on the hour
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• start by buying some undies and NO PULL UPS! go online and find cool tips
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i used pull ups & my dd was potty trained in less than a month
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• everytime you go potty put her on.... that way she can see whats going on....
    tonibologna

Answer by tonibologna at 3:48 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You should be potty trained by now dear

hehe couldn't resist.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:29 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Buy a simple potty chair ( I recommend the Graco 3-in-1 potty chair with a top that goes on the big potty too). Start changing diapers in the bathroom to make association and talk about the potty. Ask the child if they want to sit and encourage it. Offer praise/cheer when they sit and more if they go. Model and talk about using the potty. As they start sitting then make it a requirement. Keep offering praise. Once they go consistently move them into underwear. Skip the pull ups. Observe when they seem to go and take them every 2 hrs is good to start, then adjust time based on your child's schedule.

You can also read books in which kids use the potty and get potty videos from the Library/ Store, Elmo has a really nice one. Most Libraries have a handful.

Do not scold, talk down or call child a baby. Negativity will delay potty training as will pushing them to go.

let me know if you need more ideas.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:00 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• LOL tennyson! OP...I'm right there with you. It's a process. I introduced the concept of the potty first, bought her a potty chair and did the big celebration with her, i just bought some pull-ups. We at the Hit or Miss stage. She's still getting engrossed in her play to notice that she needs to pee. She poops in the potty (the big one) most of the time. Again, if we're outside, she'll go ahead and do it in her pants. I'm thinking I'll go get some real cotton training pants because the Pull Ups are more like diapers than underwear.

My oldest dd trained in less than a week. With my youngest were on month two. They're all different.
    MissBearNMonkey

Answer by MissBearNMonkey at 9:05 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i WOULD PUT REGULAR UNDER WEAR ON MINE . BUT WITH SOME NEAT PICTURES ON IT HAVE HIM (IF IT'S A BOY) PICK OUT ANEAT PICTURE HE LIKES ON A REGULAR UNDERWER THAT HE WOULDN'T TO GET WET. AND AT NIGHT i WOULD PUT HIM ON PULL UPS .( AND IF IT'S A GIRL ) I PUT MINE IN SOME LACY UNDERWEAR WITH LITTLE FLOWERS ON THEM. SHE LIKED THEM SO MUCH SHE SURELY DIDN'TWANT TO GET THEM WET.!AT NIGHT AGAIN i WOULD PUT HER IN TRAINING PANTS ONLY BECAUSE I KNEW THAT WITH THOSE ON AT NIGHT THEY BOTH HATED WAKING UP TO THE FEELING OF WET PULL-US. AND 2 TO 3 DAYS LATER THAT DID IT FOR THEM. HOPE MY IDEA WORKS FOR YOU TOO GOOD LUCK.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:24 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• use regular undies and no more diapers.... put a timer on for ever hour and a half at first and give a gummy bear for getting on the potty for the first few days to motivate them to 'go' where they're supposed to......... if you catch them having an accident rush them to the potty and highly encourage.. if they go on the potty, then give extra rewards...
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 11:15 AM on Jul. 22, 2010