Is it worth it to work? Please don't bash.

I am trying to decide if I should quit my job. After looking for work for 7 months, I finally found a job 2 months ago. It pays $8/hour. After taxes, I bring home an average of $210 per week usually. The problem is, the job is almost 50 miles away from my home. This means I put a substantial amount of gas in my car every week. Sometimes I am paying $120 or more depending on how many shifts I can get. In addition, I qualify for childcare assistance for my one year old. My portion of the bill is $180 per month. Anyway, I sat and figure out my bills this month. After I wrote checks for everything (electric, gas, sewer, and phone) I realized that I was -$42. I receive food stamps, $233 worth every month so I don't have to worry about feeding my kids thankfully. Do you think I should quit the job? I would usually wait to get another job but frankly, I can't afford it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• then you'd be more in the hole, how would the bills get paid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Good question. Let me ask this, do you get a break or any satisfaction out of it? To me, sounds like waiting it out to find something closer would be better but I am not in your shoes.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I am OP- the bills would be paid from my savings, a portion of which is actually my college refunds - which is where I got the extra $42 from. I don't want to have to dip into my savings to keep a job. And to the second question, no, I don't actually like the job at all. But it's important for me that my kids see me working and trying to maintain a decent home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think you should either find a job closer or you should move closer to your job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• OK, you're -$42 WITH working.

If you were NOT working, where would you be? THAT is the question you haven't answered.

It strikes me that you may be paying too much in taxes; check your withholding. There are also calculators online that will help you. If you're working 40 hours a week, you're only taking home about 65% of your check.

As it stands, from what you've written, you either need anew home or a new job. This one is not worth it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Why don't you try working from home. I recently started working from home. I love it. I work with a huge group of moms who also stay home. The team I work with is so positive, it makes it even more fun. Check out my website.
    www.internetceomoms.com/ecarrillo
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you get reduced price child care and foodstamps you will be getting EIC at tax time. But you could change your with holding and get it now.
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 6:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• What about keeping children in you home. If you kept 2 kids at 100 a week a piece that would be $800 a month. No daycare payment, no big gas bill. Minus those things form what you posted that would make 800 minus say 70 for gas vs. the 5 something you have left after daycare an twice the gas. You would need to check on your states requirements for in home care. My state you don't have to be certified to keep 2 kids. You do to keep 3. It would not be hard to find some to keep between craigslist (where I found my sitter) and the paper....Just another option to consider. You know more about your bills than I do so you will have to look further into it to see if it would work or not.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It was not worth it for us, so i started a job from home! What a way to save on taxes and monthly bills.

There is no charge to work, as there was out of the house. I don't miss the gas bill, the lunch bill,the break snacks, etc... The job was very high stress and very demanding!

pass_along_card_budget_minded2-1.jpg picture by EmmaWeekly

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Is it possible to keep working AND look for a job that's closer to you or an apartment that's closer to the job? Eventually your car will wear out from heavy use. Eventually something will hit and you'll be forced to make decisions, It's better to be proactive and not be caught in the crunch. And best if you have a bit to put into savings.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 11:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009