Everytime my 16 year old showers he gets incredibly itchy

My son lives with his dad 80% and with my DH and I 20%. He's always had a hygiene problem, but finally he spilled the beans of why (and I have witnessed this)

After he has a shower his legs get crazy itchy! He scratches and it drives him nuts for about 20 minutes. It's not the laundry soap, or bathroom soap as it's different from both places.

I've tried to get him to use a body wash to moisturize but he says it doesn't help.

mrsvixen

Asked by mrsvixen at 12:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my dd has to use Aveeno body wash and lotion, also maybe he can have scabies? maybe he should see a doctor for it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Maybe his skin is sensitive to someting in the soap he uses.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 1:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• maby it's ur water.. do you use a water softener? if we ours turned up to high i get extremely itchy and i'm the only one in the house who gets this way..
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• * if we turn ours up
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 1:08 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Maybe the water is too hot? Hot water irritates my skin. He should probably see a dermatologist.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Even though the soap and laundry detergent is different in both houses, it still could be the problem, my DH can only use soaps and detergents with no dyes and perfumes or he breaks out like crazy. He uses plain old Ivory soap and we use the Arm & Hammer for sensitive skin laundry detergent.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• am 22 and i have the same probl;em since i was a child. and i still have no clue what it is. but is a pain.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• check the safety of the ingredients you are using here: www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Switch him to a safe baby soap, like California Baby

Answer by rkoloms at 11:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You need to get him some soap that is free and clear of all dyes and crap... Even if it's different brands I can almost guarantee they have some of the same ingredients. I get itchy if I use certain soaps (Irish Spring , Dial and Zest are three of the main ones that irritate me) and they all have the same main ingredients in them. He could have mild eczema that acts up after he uses these soaps or it could be the hot water; My son can't take really hot baths I have to make them warm.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Does he have really hairy legs? Make sure he pat dries himself and dries himself off really well in the direction of the hair follicles, as he may be irritating his skin further when he dries.....then have him try a medicated powder such as Gold Bond. It also wouldn't hurt to see a skin specialist, for sure!
    MyPreciousMuthr

Answer by MyPreciousMuthr at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009