Question about what my pedi told me at 9 month checkup...

My doc told me that she shouldn't be having more than 24 oz. of formula a day and needs to start three solid meals a day...She is going to be one year in a few weeks and I was just wondering what your LO's diet was like at that age....I am still pumping but getting maybe only 2 oz. a day....and I don't know if she's getting all the nutrition she needs...So what was your babys diet around 9-12 months...thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at the age my dd was on ceral, babyfood fit to her age, and small soft table food that u would eat...i started my dd on mash patatoes and sweet potatoes and added stuff from there.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son just turned 1 on the 23 of july, here is what he ate today for an idea.

Breakfast- Eggs ( 1 scrambled) and a piece of toast (lightly toasted with jelly) and milk

Snack- sippy of milk and a gerbert cookie

Lunch - gerbert pizza , sippy of juice and a orange

snake- sippy of juice and a bannana

Dinner- Chicken nuggets, mashed potato's and green beans and milk

nite nite snake, sippy of milk and some mixed fruit

She should be eating more table foods but dont worry every child eats diffrent
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• OP here....this is what she eats...

Breakfast- vege sausage link, organic blueberry multigrain waffle and banana after her bottle
    snack- puffs or crackers ( I try the sippy but she doesn't know what to do with it yet.

Lunch-turkey stix and vege or fruit

snack- banana

dinner-whatever we are eating and her bottle before bed...Im just scared taht without the formula or BM she's not getting enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you're still getting milk then you can start building up a good supply of breastmilk by putting your baby to the breast. That will be best for her.

I don't know what the guidlines are for formula fed babies, but for breastfed babies they don't actually need ANY solid food until they are 1. Before that the solids are just for practice. I have a little niece who is that age and formula fed and she has had a LOT of problems because her mom feeds her too much food and not enough formula... constipation, illness, digestive problems and even a hospitalization due to a severe allergic reaction to something (never did figure out what). I'd get a second opinion from someone who is current on the feeding guidlines put out by the WHO.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• She hasn't actually nursed for about 3 months except at nite...Im at the point where I don't want to build my supply back up..but thanks for the concern...she is a happy healthy baby with no health issues I just wanted some suggestions on what people fed their babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My doctor had me put my 9-month old on formula because he wasnt getting enough breast milk. As for table foods, give them a variety of food. And they should have 3 meals a day plus snacks. Of course they wont eat thier whole plate. When they are full they will let you know. Suggestions: String cheese(any cheese), noodles, fruit, cooked veggies, bread, meat, beans After 1 babies can have eggs whole milk
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• you said she'll be turning 1 in a few weeks? how many weeks? 3 weeks before my dd turned 1, i took her off formula, and put her straight on whole milk. doc said that was fine, she was close enough to one anyway. if it's more than that, at about 9-11 months my dd had a 6oz bottle in the morning to wash her breakfast down (whether she drank it all or not, it depended on how much she wanted, i didn't force it) then at lunch i'd give her watered down juice, then at dinner i'd give her what we were eating, along with an 8oz bottle. normally she would take like half of the bottle at dinner, and then want the rest of it right before going to bed.

we're kinda doing that now, but with milk. but i don't let her go over 16oz a day.

oh yeah, i did the same thing with my son
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Gotcha.

Well, since I breastfeed I don't know how much mine gets, but at that age I would give her little snacks here and there of age-appropriate foods. I tried to keep it as nutrient-rich as possible (like, giving her a cut up banana to munch on instead of a canned banana puree, small chunks of cooked chicken instead of that nasty baby food meat, etc). She was still almost fully on breastmilk, though. I think that until they are 1 the recommendation is for breastmilk or formula to be their main source of nutrients. After 1 you can kind of navagate away from the liquid diet and more toward solids.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My 9 month old loves anything I eat. pancakes top ramen spagetti dry cereal yougurt is his favorite.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• oh, i didn't realize you were asking about what they were eating. well, my dd eats everything. literally. she actually ate apples after dinner tonight...i was shocked. reason being, my toddler was and still is the most pickiest eater alive. lol. so her eating apples was something i wasn't used to. but i'd say start her on fruits and veggies now, and not the baby food. i think that was my mistake with my son, i didn't start him on real fruits and veggies early, so now he won't even touch them. my dd tears them up though lol. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2009