My nine month old is biting me constantly, and he thinks its funny. HELP!

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 1:11 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell him firmly that it isn't nice. Tell him it hurts and it makes mommy feel bad. Then put him in time out.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 1:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my son did that for the first time when he was 9 months. i popped him on the mouth and told him NO, you don't bite. he's 2 and has never done it since.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Is this during nursing sessions? If it is, you can be proactive. Babies won't bite while they are actively nursing. Look for signs that he's done eating and break his latch before he bites you. If he gets a hold of you and won't let go, gently push his little face into your breast until his nose is covered. He will let go to get air. Not too hard, though! Also, try not to make any noises, since he is finding that funny. That just rewards his behavior. If he keeps biting and he's not done nursing, take him off the breast and set him on the floor for a minute or two and then try again. Be consistant with how many "tries" you give him before you end the nursing session.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• when you find out let me know.... my 21 month old bites me a lot, i have popped her on the mouth that didnt work, popped her hand that didnt work, fake cried nothing, told her it hurt and still nothing...... sorry
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 1:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• it sucks...my DD started doing that at around 7 months and it jsut ended up with crying sessions for both of us...I tried EVERYTHING! the "pushing the face into the breast", tapping her on the mouth, stopping feeding, NOTHING worked. I hope it does for you but I stopped the BFing except for night and we are much happier b/c of it. I didn't want it to become a battle or a negative experience. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• A tap on the mouth and a firm "no" worked for us. And by tap I mean harder than a touch, but not hard enough to hurt - just enough to let them know that what they just did with that little mouth is unacceptable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Try giving teething tablets 20 minutes before nursing. Worked like a charm with my son.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 1:21 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My daughter went through this for a couple months at this age, and out grew it.. not once did I have to hit her.. and yes taps are hitting too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree with anon. 1.10. and would also like to add that I don't think timeout works for a 9 month old. Just tell him no, put him down and walk away from him when he does it, he will get the message.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009