Crib Fear Advice?

My husband works 3rd shift, comes to bed around 4am and usually our son wakes him up abo 9 then takes him to daycare. One day last week, he managed to sleep till almost 11am. When he realized the time he ran in to see that our son had clearly thrown quite a tantrum. The poor thing was soaked. But fortunately didn't get out though I think he looks close to managing it. He's about 20 mo. And now refuses to go to sleep or stay asleep in his crib if I take him after he's fallen asleep elsewhere. I used to use the cry to sleep method and never had much problem with it. But now he has kicking and screaming tantrums and I'm afraid that if I continue with that method that I will do more harm then good at this point. I'm considering transitioning his bed so he feels more freedom but my husband swears we'll be doomed if we do. Not to mention the idea of him running the house alone while we're asleep freaks me out, please help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I switched my dd to a toddler bed at 14 mos. I put her in it at bedtime, going through her bedtime routine. Then shut the door until she is asleep (some nights it's CIO, others I put her to sleep!) When I go to bed a few hours later, I open her door and she comes and gets me when she wakes up! It varies between 4am and 7am
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i put my daughter in a toddler bed at about 15 months and she does fine... leave the door open and put up a baby gate... that way your son can be heard but not tear the house down...
    tonibologna

Answer by tonibologna at 3:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would not transition to a toddler bed until he starts climbing out of the crib. Toddlers this age tend to hit this "I don't want to be contained stage". He could be a bit upset still about his cry not being answered. So I would advise your DH to set an alarm clock to get your son up.

Not sure how you feel about this but maybe put a few board books. soft toys and a sippy of water (never milk or juice) in your child's crib. That way if he wakes up he can play quietly, look at books or have a drink. You could also consider if possible dropping him off at daycare before you leave for work if you can.

I would not break your routine or give in to his refusal unless he is completely hysterical and then only sit next to his crib till he goes to sleep or rub his cheek. Stay only as long as necessary though only after having him try to go to sleep on his own.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• yea I think you're right, I really don't want to give in to the tantrums. But I think we will probably try to transition him soon anyway. Because I can tell he is very close to climbing out. And since we have wood floors I really want to transition before he figures it out. And we have been keeping water and at least something soft in there for him to play with and I do think that helps. And he seems to be getting a little better. Thanks!
    criglet

Answer by criglet at 11:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009