what age???

whats a good time to start lettin my 16mth son hold his own spoon and feed himself? He knows how to pick food up and eat like that, but not everything he eats is that simple and I worry about him gettin more on himself then in his belly. also he is between 23-24lbs at 16 mths is that to little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started giving mine the spoon at about 6 mos (we started cereal at 3.5) because she wanted to do it herself. He will make a HUGE mess at first when you give him the spoon. My dd is now 20 mos and still makes a huge mess, but it's practice! When he isn't getting food on the spoon he will still use his hands and will eat until he is full, then use the spoon for "play time". I would give him the spoon and let him use it. He will get very messy, but it's good because he is learning! At least they are cleanable :)
    And his weight sounds about right for his age!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:55 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• thanx! thats a relief..he's always been a lil small so thats why I worry, but i feel better knowing his weight is good!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• So you have an idea, my dd was about that weight at 15-16 mos... and now she is 20 mos at 26 lbs. I understand worrying whether they are getting enough to eat when they have more food on them than you thought was on the plate! :) Also, his stomach is the size of his fist. Very small! :) I'm glad I could help!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Start him out on stuff that will "stick" to the spoon, like applesauce or yogurt. I would always give several bites, to know they got some nutrition, and then give them the rest to play in and experiment with.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I let my daughter have a spoon when she was about 1 year old. She made a mess but learned really quickly how to use it. I just took off her shirt and pants and let her make a mess. I figured it would help her fine motor skills.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• What percentile is he in for weight? I don't think it's too early (or late) for him to start feeding himself. If you're worried about nutrition, feed him several bites yourself before you give him the spoon. Or give him a spoon and a small bowl and you have a spoon and small bowl. My son had to have his own. Stuff that sticks to the spoon will keep him from getting frustrated.
    As far as feeding himself with a spoon, it is practice, practice, practice and your son will LOVE it! It will be so darn cute (at first), when he turns the 1/2 empty bowl of yogurt over on his head. Don't put any clothes on him that aren't already a little worn. He will manage to get around the largest of bibs! Get some really good stain fighter laundry stuff. I like Totally Toddler. I swear it gets ANYTHING out. Above all, have the camera ready and prepare to laugh. It's a wonderful little moment for you both!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 6:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would most definitely give him his own spoon/ fork to feed himself starting right away. Just be sure to prepare extra food to make up for what is going to end up on him and the floor ( You can still feed him while letting him take his own bites). Give him foods that are easy to use with a spoon/fork. Buy the thicker yogurt ( Bryers or yoplait are thicker then Stonyfields), make foods a bit thicker to make them easier to use. Mashed Potatos, Oatmeal are good foods to start with also.

His weight sounds appropriate though obviously that depends on his height. My DD was about that at that age.

BTW my DD did good with the Leraning Curves toss and go spoons which were smaller in size and the Gerber toss and go Forks which has smaller tines. The LC t&g forks had tines that were too wide to pick up the small food. The Gerber spoons were too wide. The build up handle sets were to big all around.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:11 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think he is ready to start using his spoon.

My DD started using the spoon when she was one. I sat by her just to make sure that she was eating and not just playing. It did get messy, but that is part of the process of learning to feed themselves.

Right now, she has no problem using a spoon and fork. Just recently, we went to Brasil to visit my MIL. She served my DD some spaghetti, and she was so surprised when Jade started rolling the pasta in her small fork. It was cute. DD will be two on the 10th of August.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 12:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My daughter is 16 months and I decided after the last wanting to eat mac and cheese on her own, it's time to learn to use something...LOL With the messier foods, I still feed her. My moms friend suggested letting her hold her own spoon while I feed with another which ended that fight....I give her her own utensils with scrambled eggs and banana pieces etc which makes her feel like big stuff. She is 26 lbs at 16 months so she's right around the same as yours.
    ninasmom318

Answer by ninasmom318 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2009