How do you take a temperature at 30mo?

I've never been able to get the ear thermometers to be consistent with rectal temperatures, but it's been a while since my son had a fever. How did or do you take temperatures at this age (mouth, ear, armpit, bottom)? When do they get too old for rectal temps? His doctor always asks for them when I call for an appointment when he's sick.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My pediatricians office has no problem with axillary temps after 6 mos.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I take it under the armpit. I put it under there with it sticking out towards his back and I hold his arm to his side. For some reason I can pretty much guess what his temperature is by feeling his face and I've always been within 1/2 of a degree, just a mom thing maybe?
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I use a pacifier thermometer.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 10:13 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• We have always used the armpit (just add one degree).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Armpit. remember temperatures will be different when taken in different areas
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Axilla (armpit).
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No matter what way you take the temp you need to let the Doctors office know the method It does make a difference. You are never (technically) too old for a rectal temp at 30 months you can do it rectal , armpit or ear. If you do go rectal make sure you hold on the thermometer with one hand and the childs butt with the other to prevent the thermometer going in too far

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2009