Mommies with 2+ kids.. how do you do it?

I'm having a hard enough time getting the shopping done with my 2.5 year old and 7 month old. I have a baby due in January. Right now, when I go to the store and absolutely have to take both of them, the 7 month old sits in the cart and my older one walks but she sometimes gets a mind of her own and once or twice the shopping has ended in more of a chase. My hubby is army so he works M-F and hates the store. I try to go on weekends and just take 1 kid but when this next one comes I don't know how in the hell I'm ever going to be able to go grocery shopping!? My fam is all in FL and we're in GA and I only have 1 true friend I'd trust watching them but she has a child of her own. *SIGH* :)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wear one in a wrap carrier and the other rides in the cart or I drag my hubby along and shut him up with a cookie.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:36 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I use to take my two older kids shopping with me. Now I shop on Tuesdays while they are in school so it's just the three year old. It's tough but can be done. Since your husband works Mon-Fri let him know that Sat or Sunday you'll need to go shopping at the commissary alone and that he;ll just have to watch the kids. Period.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Grocery shopping is my least favorite chore in the house, other than laundry. I have 3 kids and babysit kids too. Try having an 8, 6, 3 yr old, then babysit an 8, 2, and 18 yr old autistic girl that flips out over the slightest noise. Grocery shopping is either done with the help of all the kids plus the help of hubby who is just as bad as kids ,or wait till late at night when you are half asleep and need nerve meds by the end of the day. You go to walmart at midnight , when it is like every kid in town is there running and acting like it is a hang out spot. Which I guess is better than going during the day when everyone in town is there conversating in the middle of the aisleway. Just another 8 days and counting till school starts back! I can not wait! Maybe my life will go back to some what normalsy and hopefully get it clean again!
    mistym31

Answer by mistym31 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my third baby has spent a lot of time in the baby wrap! then i bribe my 2 and 5 year olds with a yogurt drink in the car if they behave.
    if you dont already have a wrap check out www.wearyourbaby.com it has great info on all the wrap styles and directions on how to make your own. i made two for $15!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i used to tell my kids when they were younger if they were good the ENTIRE time in the store they would get a cookie from the bakery....and i stuck by my word...they got two reminders if they started to act up...and if by third they are being bad i stuck by my guns and they didnt get a cookie...after a few horrible shopping trips...the kids realised i wasnt kidding...now i dont have any problems with them at all!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I look for stores that have shopping carts for 2+ kids, surprisingly a lot of them do now days. My favorite is Kroger here in Ohio and Publix in Florida. They have the car carts that fit two in the front and two in the regular basket seat. Also do not be afraid to have the older kids help. When my third child came along I refused to be "one of those mothers that let the older kids raise their younger siblings". Well that about killed me and the older ones suffered more because they didn't get as much mommy time. So when number four came along I let them help (feeding, diapering, pushing the stroller) and we all enjoyed the new baby way more than we did number 3. Now that they are older the have quite a racket babysitting friends kids, because they do know how to care for little ones.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have 4 kids, including 3 that were born right in a row. I never went to the store with my kids when they were little. Not unless my husband was going with me. I planned all my grocery shopping around his schedule. He usually had Sundays and Mondays off when they were babies so I would go on Monday (I hate shopping on the weekend).
    My kids are 9, almost 8, 6 1/2 and 3 and I still won't shop with them alone. It's too stressful and they are actually very well behaved in the store.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Use those new carts that can seat 2 older kids and put the baby on the cart. The commissary has those cart

Answer by louise2 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Keep your chin up, it gets easier. I don't know how I lived through it but you do and I wished I spent more time enjoying the baby stage.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I make both of mine hold on to the cart through the whole store. I make a list and fly around the store, getting out as fast as possible! It can be hard, especially depending on the kids' moods, but if I didn't take them, I would never get anything done! Yesterday I took them swimsuit shopping with me. THAT sucked.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009