Your baby can what?!?

My husband and I have been debating about getting our 4 1/2 month daughter .:*Baby Can Read*:. I know it wouldn't be a waste of money, but have any of you moms tried it yet, and has it worked the way you wanted it to? I just wanna get more background on it from REAL moms before I go out and drop over $200.00 on it. Thanks.

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's a total waste of money. The best way to teach your baby it read is to read to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I thought about getting this for my kids, but after reading the reviews on Amazon.com (where you can get the whole set for under 100 bucks) I decided against it. I recommend you go there and read the reviews.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i burned it from a dl program so was free lol and we love it
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think its a waste of money. They reviewed it on the show, the doctors and I think their consensus was to let kids develop on their own. I think its entirely possible to have your child recognizing words at that age, but I think its silly. What purpose does it serve? My oldest daughter is 15 and she is in advanced placement english class. Those kids are all very smart and advanced, but NONE of them were reading at 6 mos and likely many of them werent breastfed (had to throw that in). Im just sayin that in the grand scheme of things, its unimportant. I am not telling you to NOT do it, I am just saying to think about WHY you want to do it. WHy do you want your baby to read? To impress other people? Its certainly might give them an advantage in kindergarten, but by the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade, they are just like everyone else. Just read up on it. I think babies are fine just like they are.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• well i burned it cause i want my baby to read or at least start understanding things.. why do we want babies to sign ?? and not all smart babies are just the breast fed ones.. HAD TO THROW THAT IN THERE... and if they know that stuff then u can teach more advance stuff in kindergarten and maybe they will be ahead you never know.. either way it really doesn't hurt to have it, i mean i didn't pay for it i used a downloading program to give it a try and either way my DD likes to look at it and listen to the songs and that, but if i had paid 200 for it.. no i would not have gotten it, but i burned it and found out i do like it i didn't get it to IMPRESS anyone.. i have it for my own to see if it does help my child's vocab. and there is nothing wrong with that, why do you listen to classical when pregnant why do toys have classical music why do we teach them to sign? its all to help make them smarter.. how is this different?
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Your child doesn't actually learn to 'read,' they just learn memorization.
    For instance, they learn the word 'clap.' Yes, when your child sees the word, he will either say 'clap' or physically clap, but if you take the 'c' off he will not be able to read the word 'lap' even though it is just one letter off. He isn't learning the sounds the letters make but instead just to recognize the words.
    If you're really intent on teaching your baby these memorization skills, you can make the cards yourself with the words you want to teach them and all you have to do is hold them up and say 'clap' (or whatever the word happens to be) over and over again until it's sunk into your baby's head that that is what 'clap' LOOKS like.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 9:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have never seen the program, but worked 8 years in child care and can tell you you can buy a LOT of books for $200! The best way to teach children to read is to make books fun, read to them every day and let them explore books from an early age. BTW my son was reading, really reading not memorizing at 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree with the above Anon - the best thing you can do to give your child early literacy skills is read to them everyday, make it fun, and instill in them a love of reading. THere is no reason to make it WORK for them so early. Also, this is just Classical Conditioning (as in Pavlov's dog). Check out the studies that were done on this. There is no evidence that children that were exposed to these types of programs learned to read early or excelled in their studies as a result of this early "training."

I'd invest in lots of books, and a good "story corner" in your home rather than waste $200 on these tapes.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think its kinda a cool idea. Insted of watching silly DVD cartoons that can watch this...I mean if your a busy busy mommy then why not? I HATE READING out loud. So i have never read to my daughter. BUt she knows so many words from those read along tapes and sing a long movies lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My daughter was reading fluently by the time she turned four. We read to her often, and labeled everything in the house (door, window, etc.). She did not watch any TV before she turned 2.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2009