what are the pros and cons of the coast guard?

My husband was talking about joining the Coast Guard. I was wondering if any of you ladies have a husband in the Coast Guard or even if you are in it. I need more information before I make my decision on whether or not I should discourage him. What are the pros and cons of joining? Did you ever regret it? Does your husband have to spend a lot of time away from your family? How dangerous is it? Really any information you can give me would be really appreciated.

umpfaloopa

Asked by umpfaloopa at 8:31 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• My Dad was Coast Guard, so my info is dated (and I didn't call him to ask for input, so this is just from what I know) ... it is very good and stable. Its government - so there are lots of the family benefits and job security. As far as danger, compared to private sector jobs it of course has a higher level of risk. But during times of conflict, compared to other branches of the military, it is overall more safe. My understanding is it functions mostly as rescue operations and delivery operations. Good luck to you!
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 9:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2009