what are the pros and cons of the coast guard?

My husband was talking about joining the Coast Guard. I was wondering if any of you ladies have a husband in the Coast Guard or even if you are in it. I need more information before I make my decision on whether or not I should discourage him. What are the pros and cons of joining? Did you ever regret it? Does your husband have to spend a lot of time away from your family? How dangerous is it? Really any information you can give me would be really appreciated.

umpfaloopa

Asked by umpfaloopa at 9:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My son was in the Coast Guard for 4 years. He is still in the reserves. I have several family members who were or are still in. It is a great organization, but it is the military. You will go to boot camp. You will work hard. You will move often. You will have ship board duty and have to go on patrol. I as proud of the service he preformed. If you have kids, I would think about the duty schedule and the fact one or both of you will have to do your sea duty.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009