Does anyone feel alone despite being married, and kids, etc?

I am so alone all the time. I have no family here, and I have really crappy "friends" that never keep in touch. I am the one always calling them and there for them.. I never get that in return. I have no idea what it is, I am a good person, and a great friend. So I definitely am bitter about all that. And, to top it off, my husband works swing shifts from 2:30pm - 11pm and we have one car, so I am often at home everyday with my kids and no one to talk to. I do things with my kids as much as possible, but I am more than just a mom and housewife. But it feels like I have nothing outside of that. I am really depressed over it all. It's like everyone is just absent in my life. And the sad part is that a lot of my friends are moms too. I really love life and I have so many dreams and ambitions, but when you have no support system and no one to really be there, what does it matter? I feel so alone. Does anyone else?

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• god yes im married witha 2 yr old daughter im a wife and a mother but yes i have lost who i am and no your not alone hon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• yes i do feel this way sometimes

when you give all you have to others,
    somethings your well is empty when it comes to yourself.
    you have to save some life water for yourself.
    and when you are feeling alone
    try to think of it as

spending time with yourself, not by yourself
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I've totally felt this way especially when my kids were younger. Your lucky to at least have the computer to coummunicate out their. But, the time will come and fill that void, be patient. Sounds like u are a good friend and it will come back to you. Maybe u could organize some kind of group. I'm not that social but it works for some.
    April0040

Answer by April0040 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• april... I like your idea of a group... I think I will try to start one, honestly. why not, huh? If my friends don't want to keep in touch, I'll just find some new ones, huh? :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• you need some YOU time. Find a hobby where just you can enjoy. Get out, do things, meet NEW ppl. Explore!! Thats what lifes about
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 10:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You could see if there is a local chapter of MOMS Club near you. MOMS Club isn't for everyone and I have mixed emotions about it. However, it really helped me when I felt really alone after moving and having a baby. Also, even though I am no longer a part of it I have made some wonderful local friends.

www.momsclub.org/

TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 10:32 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think we all have felt that way. My kids are grown and sometimes I think they don't love me and I put on such a pity party for myself. I know my kids adore me as I do them, but they have lives, and busy ones at that. It's just a mood I get in. As for your friends, I say try to make new ones and be more selective. Don't think it's something wrong with you, they may be wrapped up in life themselves. It's ok to feel alone once in awhile. Allow yourself to feel your emotions and you'll be surprised how quick you get out of that feeling...Good luck hon...

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Sometimes we are lonely BECAUSE we have a husband and kids...so many responsibilities and caring for others all the time. Often the caretaker gets overlooked. I suspect that all mothers and wives feel like this from time to time. Maybe take classes. Then when you are home with nothing to do you can study and when you are out you will have the opportunity to meet people with like interests as well. Just schedule the classes for a time when you have access to the car...or get a bicycle...or take the bus...or carpool. Learning does wonders for your sense of worth and well-being.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yes, I feel that way too often. Cry if you need to, it's amazing what a release can do for you. If your feelings ever get out of control, do not hesitate to talk to a professional. There are free and low-cost options if $ is an issue, you just need to look for the help, it is out there. It worked for me, I feel alive again...which benefits my fam as well as myself.
    LeClaireS

Answer by LeClaireS at 10:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• All the time I am a mom to a 6 and 3 year old and a 2 month old. My husband works 3 jobs and we have 1 car. I have 5 sisters and no friends around here. They all moved out of town. I am always at my house. I COULD JUST SCREAM.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2009