• In the Spotlight:

What is your opinion on the meaning of this quote?

"There is a big difference between what we have the right to do and what is right."

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 10:17 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Seems straightforward to me....Just because something is legal doesn't mean you should do it. This is something I tell my kids all the time. There are many things that fall into this category like gossiping, telling lies, manipulating people, cheating on a boyfriend/girlfriend, being stingy, rude, ignoring peoples wishes or feelings, etc. Many people will justify something because they can not be held legally responsible or other people are doing it. Not every offense is a punishable offense...for example, it is perfectly legal to ignore most of the ten commandments - yet most people agree that these are moral and social rules that we should live by if we want to live in a civilized society.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Makes sense standing alone, but I'd need to hear it in its context ;)

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:24 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• We live in a free country, meaning we can come and go as we please, and for the most part, do anything we want. However, sometimes there are negative consequences for having so many freedoms, and when things don't go as you had hoped or planned, you should not automatically expect that others will take on the cost/responsibility of your burdens/mistakes.

With freedom come responsibility--too many people in today's society have forgotten the latter!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My opinion basically would be just what it says.

I suspect your wanting to equate it to abortion.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree with srivero.....depends on what context it's used in.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Out of context it is hard to say, but for the most part, its self explanatory to me.

There are a lot of times where there are multiple options that are well within laws and rights, but they may not be the right thing to do in that situation. Like I have a right to never clean my house or not take a shower, however, that isn't the best choice.

That's a bad, small scale example, but there is a simple, non controversial one.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Agree with flymom.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Example
    You have the right to burn our flag, but that don't make it the right thing to do
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think, as rights go, we have gotten "right" stupid. Please show me where it is written that medical insurance is a right. It began as an incentive/benefit for companies to attract the best and the brightest from our nation's universities. The rest of us began to understand exactly what these college graduates of past years were getting and we all wanted it. And now, some how, it has become a RIGHT!!! The granting of that benefit was something a person earned by working hard to get a job that offered it. Now, we will put our country out of the business of having privately owned businesses because we have a right to medical insurance.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009