Feeding question for a 5 month old?

OK so my son is 5 months old and I can not get him on a schedule. It's not bothering him just me. He eats every 4 hours but it's not the same time every day. Some times he's up at 5 in the morning and today he slept til 8. I've been feeding him oatmeal and now i'm trying to add in his veggie. I feel like there's NO consistency. Should I just go with the flow? He's my third and i'm just looking for some input from you other mom's... Thanks!

Melissa6280

Asked by Melissa6280 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well for one not supposed to start solids till 6 months try that ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Unlike adults & older children, babies & toddlers eat when they are hungry (a healthier habit). They will eat more or less as they grow & develop.
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many a&re now recommending skipping cereal & starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, & you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. The best book on feeding babies, toddlers & their families is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You can learn more www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• His ped told me start... from the signs he'sshowing he's ready...
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I always just went with the flow. I still do and my baby is 19 months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I always kept my kids on a schedule. A flexible schedule, but a schedule nonetheless. Particularly with my 4th, it's important to me for him to be on a schedule so I can get my older 3 children where they need to be - school, bball practice, OT, etc. And I also think children thrive on consistency and routine. Getting there might be tough, but I think it's more than worth it. You know he can go four hours between feedings, so decide when you want those feedings to be and stick to it. His first meal of the day may be at different times, but then go back to the feedings at his routine times, even if that means there aren't always 4 hours between, until he gets used to those times. He will start to get hungry at the times he's used to being fed.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Anonymous 10:20 AM-- this is debated, some pedis say 4 months some say 6month
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009