kids using toasters?

i showed my 5 and 7 yr old how to use the toaster yesterday while makin breakfast but failed to tell them that they are to only use it with an adult around(i know not good), well this morning the woke up early and snuck downstairs and made toast for themselves....they know what they are doing should i let them continued to let them use it or have it off limits...what is a good age for them to have a little more independence?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids have been using the toaster since they were 4 and unsupervised since they were 5. So far the only incident we had was some smoke (because of something the fell into the toaster...would have happened to an adult, too) and one burnt finger. I think even my 3yo has made her own toast without me knowing, lol.
    The older two have also been using the microwave since they were 5. They've been making their own breakfast (cereal, toast, English muffins) since they were 4 and my 3yo gets her own cereal...she just needs someone to pour her milk which one of her siblings usually does.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would wait tell the age of 10 to let the individual children use it alone.

Answer by louise2 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2009