Will my child need to wear clothes under his karate gi?

My son is about to start karate classes and I feel silly asking his sensei, but I was wondering if he is supposed to wear clothes under his karate gi or not. If he is, I am sure it would have to be something that moves freely. Does anyone have children who take karate? Do they wear clothes under their gi?

Nicollynne

Asked by Nicollynne at 11:25 AM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, white t shirt under the top. If he is in something like JuJitSu he may not wear anything. It is best to ask the Sensei as they will tell you what they prefer.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• not under the pants...but under the top he should wear a white tshirt
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My brothers grappled in NAGA a few years ago. They usually wore a pair of basketball shorts and a t shirt underneath their gi, but they also competed in gi AND no gi grappling, so I don't know if they did that just because it was more convenient for them.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• That is what my son wears motherof fanaries, but the rest of his class who don't do gi/nogi just wear gi, no shirt or shorts. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son wore underpants and t-shirt.

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My husband doesn't wear anything but his boxer breifs and a very tight shirt made for grappling! When he does no gi he wears basketball shorts and that same tight grappling shirt.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2009