How do I get my daughter to eat at the table?

Up until the last couple of months my 2 1/2 year old daughter as done great eating at the table. No she hates to. She wants to sit at the couch and eat. Even if we are all at the table and the tv is off. I guess the biggest problem is that my husband lets her do that all day while I am at work. But it is so frusterating to have crumbs and peices of food EVERYWHERE! Right now I tell her if she doesnt stay at the able she can't eat, but she is stubborn and sometimes won't eat! I dont know what to do about it anymore.

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't really have any advice on it because my dd has never done it. What about if you try putting her in a time-out when she gets up from the table and tell her every time she wants to get up from the table, she won't be able to play, she'll have to go in a time-out? Just an idea. Hope it helps.
    trinsmom04

Answer by trinsmom04 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No matter how stubborn the child is they will eat when they get hungry enough. I would flat out tell her that she can eat when she is at the table. Granted if she is really stubborn she might miss a meal or two, but oh well. Just set a place and let her know that she is welcome to eat but that it will be done at the table. When she finally gives in give her something to eat then put her back on everyone elses schedule too. I would also get your DH on board with it too. It is hard to have two different standards.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 1:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i agree with her if you tell her that she cannot eat unless its at the table she may miss a meal or two but eventually will give in also have your husband work with you in this if she wants to eat lunch or a snack it needs to be at the table kids have to remember who the boss is and when she figures out you wont give in then thats when you will have her eating dinner with your family again
    Rochelleyboo

Answer by Rochelleyboo at 1:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• make a rule. nobody eats anywhere but the table. get a plate with a suction cup on the bottom so she can't move the plate from the table.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• @ jcsmummy

That plate with the suction cup is an awesome idea, especially with a younger child!
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 5:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009