Pagan Moms- What did you put on the babies birth certificate?

Im having a 3rd baby and wanted to know what i should be putting on the religion part? I am a wiccan, my husband has no religion at all and does not attend catholic church at all anymore. But he is a pagan and believes in somethings i do and has other things he believes in. Should i put Pagan on the paper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• you can i put none. I grew up in a pagen home but i do not follow any religion, niether does my SO so put what you want really i just put none if my child want to decide to take up the religion thing he can choose that on his own i will not force anything.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Where do you live? I am just wondering where that is part of the birth certificate. It is not a question on my daughters or mine, or in fact any birth certificate I have seen from this era. If it is asking the religion of the child I would put none, I don't think a newborn can have a religion. If they were asking for the parents I would put mine as Neopagan & my husbands as none, it sounds like your situation would warrant similar answers.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Nysa00- Every birth certificate i ever seen says Religion then a box to write in. Both my kids have Catholic because thats what i was in 2004 and 2006. My own birth certificate says Catholic and so does my husband. We are all from Los angeles, california if that makes any difference. But i live in Wa State right now so if the birth certificate is going to say Religion like i think it will, then Pagan it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• How interesting, I had no idea some states were still asking for that info. I saw it on my grandfathers BC & thought it was funny that they used to ask that. I wonder if our county records office is strange in that it doesn't ask for that on our BC & it is typical in most of the US. It seems silly in this day & age to have it on a BC.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I never heard of that, either. I've had kids born in 3 different states and none of them asked for any religious information. In Missouri the only thing on the birth certificate is the kid's name and birth date, county they were born in and parents names, ages and the states they were born in. The PA one just had the baby's name and birth date and the parent's names.
    The most elaborate one is from IL (the state I was born in) which has the baby's name, birth date, time of birth, hospital, doctor, parents' names, mom's address, their birth dates and where they were born, etc. But nothing about religion on any of them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Kid's doesn't have it, and I'm pretty sure mine doesn't though I haven't looked at it for a while. Seems very presumptuous.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i live in NC and they didnt ask for religion. but most of the time you put what ever religion the mother is. (because sometimes fathers are un-known)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Neither of my kid's birth certificates asked for religion--one in Colorado and one in Washington state.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I didnt have to put anything.

If I had to, Id probably have put Spiritual and left it at that LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I didn't see that on any of our kids BC. If I had I would have put NOYB (None Of Your Business)or just left it blank. But I didn't see it there nor do I remember them asking about it as far as the baby went.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2009