Moms who Breastfeed and had C-sections, i have a question

I am having a c section but im going to be breast feeding. I want to be able to hold the baby as soon as he or she comes out. But if im on a table waiting for them to sew me back up i wont be able to breast feed since im flat on my back and the baby would just roll onto my face. My birth plan is to have the baby as soon as he or she is out, no shots, no nothing and i want the baby to come with me to the recovery room. Is this what you did or did you do something else

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They will let you hold the baby, but you need to make a HUGE fuss over getting the baby right away so you can nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No, they wouldn't let my hold the baby when he was born. I got to see him, and I told them that I was exclusively breastfeeding and not give him a bottle, but I didn't get to hold him right away. In the recovery room, they brought him to me once to feed, but as soon as he was done they took him away again. They wouldn't keep him in there and I wasn't allowed to have any other visitors either. I had to wait until I could wiggle my toes before they moved me into my room and allowed the baby and visitors with me. It sucked!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• no, my baby was premature and i had a csection so i only got to see him later that night and didnt get to start pumping and going into the NICU to breastfeed until the next day. and it since he was premature, they had to supplement him also which was fine with me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Thanks ladies, im going to put my foot down and do things my way this time lol. In my birth plan i want the baby with me at all times. I dont know how they can force my child away from me. They are crazy if they do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I had my baby in my arms once they sewed me up, which was probably 10mins after. I don't think I would've been able to nurse her in the position I was in after surgery. I nursed her as soon as I got her and she did it with no trouble.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I didn't hold my baby right away but the nurse brought him to me as soon as I got to the recovery roon. She helped me roll to my side so I could nurse him since I was still numb. He was nursing about a half hour to forty-five minutes after he was born.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• They took my baby, showed him to me, and then took him into an adjoining room with a glass window - I could still see him and my dh went with him. Then he went with us to the recovery room and I was allowed to breastfeed there. I had some issues with the birth, and I wouldn't have been able to hold him right away even if I had wanted to, but it was within an hour or so.

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• they did my c sectino and after pulling her out, they showed me her, and had her and her daddy go to the recovery room, then they stapled me up and brought me in the recovery room and they asked if i was breastrfeeding i said yes and they had me immediately start breastfeeding. my hospital was great!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My daughter was a little cold when she first came out, so they took her to heat her up, but I got her as soon as I went to my room, which was about an hour after she was born. I specifically asked for them to bring her as soon as possible so I could nurse, and they did. So I think, if you ask about it before going in to the OR, and everything starts to happen, because, believe me, it happens so fast and there is a lot of other things going on in the OR, then you should be able to tell them how important it is to you.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009