At 25 weeks what will eating chalk do to my unborn baby?

I've been craving it for the past couple days.. just wanted to know what exactly would happen.

DesignDiva21

Asked by DesignDiva21 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to speak to a doctor. It's called pica. It's when you crave Non-foods. I don't know what it will do but I'm pretty sure it's not healthy.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 12:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yes call your doc and dont eat the chalk! I hope you arent eating stuff like laundry soap. I have heard of this and I THINK it is some sort of defiency.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Don't eat it! You need to call your doctor and let them know you are craving chalk. jmpeskie is right. Whenever a pregnant woman craves non-foods such as chalk or dirt etc. it is because you are most likely lacking a nutrient that your body knows is in that item. You need to call your doc ASAP!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You need to go see a doctor! You shouldnt eat anything like that even if you are craving it! It is a disease called Pica and you could end up eating something very harmful like lead filled paint! I would go to the doctor right away!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 12:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/unusualcravingspica.html
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Y'know, the other day (and I'm not saying this is a great source of information or anything) I was watching MTV True Life I'm having twins. One of the moms was craving chalk. She was in the hospital, and she had a pack of white chalk in her drawer and she was eating it! Her doctor said that it wouldn't be harmful to the baby, but that she would not get any nutritional value from it.
    I am NOT saying you should go ahead and eat chalk, just telling you this story.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It means you have a vitamin deficiancy of some sort, it used to be fairly common, but who knows what they put in chalk these days?
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My teacher in teh 4th grade used to pick chack up from the black board and just eat it, its calle pica, chalk shouldnt be dangerious, but the lack of whatever your body NEEDS could be, call your doctor and let them know so they can run a blood screan,
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I actually saw a girl on true life (I think thats the show) on MTV the other day who was pregnant with twins, on bedrest in the hospital, eating chalk.
    I would call and ask your doctor if there is any effect from eating it.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i was watching a show on tv the other day and a girl ate some chalk or crayons and the doctor didnt care i think its gross! call ur doctor
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2009