Do you keep everything you don't want your toddler to get out of reach or do you teach them not to touch it?

My DH gets mad when DS gets things that are just laying around but I think if he shouldn't have something it needs to put up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are right! I mean when they are like 3 they might be able to be trusted a little more but I still wouldnt leave anythong out you dont want broken or that could be dangerous to your child. I mean you can teach them what a nono is or whatever but if they are curious they are going to want to play with it or at least check it out! Thats how they learn.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Eh, I did a little bit of both. The stuff you'd be really upset over it if broke, that goes up, the stuff he could hurt himself with, that goes up. The car keys, the remote, DVDs left out, other random stuff.... tell him no and THEN put it up. KIds are gonna pick stuff up, you can't get mad because they don't know they aren't supposed to touch it, and even if you tell them, they don't understand the why's: that it could break, that it's expensive, etc etc.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I keep dangerous or breakable items up and out of my 20 month olds reach. Things like the television or vases of flowers or photo frames she could reach but arent particularly fragile so I scold her if she goes near them and eventually she learns. I think its best to do a bit of both...the same as letting them fall over and scrape their knees etc rather than molly cuddling them.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 12:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I put it up. Toddlers are curious and they pick things up, touch them, drop them, put them in their mouth, pull at them and sometimes break them....all normal for their age so I think it's best to put things up you don't want them to bother. It's easier on everyone imo

Answer by admckenzie at 12:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i did both. she wouldn't have learned that certain things can't be touched if she wasn't told no, and if everything was out of reach she'd never have the chance to try.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I disagree. You should put up the important / injury cuasing items and leave others out. How will you child ever learn self control and what is ok to touch if you just keep everything out of the way. Also, you will eventually go to someone else's house and they will have stuff out. Your child will need to know how to repespect their stuff, too. So start with a few things he can't hurt but shouldn't touch and start to teach him now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Both - I have put away all my really valuable, important things, but have left some things on the coffee table, end tables that aren't very expensive or fragile but shouldn't be touched so he can learn not to touch things while still keeping himself, and my things, safe. I'm also teaching him not to touch the fireplace gate, not that we will be having fires this winter out of safety for him, but it's not a play toy.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my son is two and we taught him not to touch...he doesnt get into the cupboards in he kitchen or bath room he doesnt touch any of the electronics(tv and such) he knows what he is aloud to touch and what he isnt
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• what i do i have a 23 month old is i keep the breakable and hazardous stuff up where he cannot reach it however i also have things that he can reach and work with the word no alot... when he tries to push the buttons on the tv i will walk up with him and take my hand and pat it and say NO NO NO NO he usually repeats me but then remembers that he is not supposed to touch it. its alot of repetition however it has proven to be affective with my little one hope this helps
    Rochelleyboo

Answer by Rochelleyboo at 1:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i agree with anon. 1:11, i teach my 14 month old not to touch things that arent his. that way if we go somewhere and they have stuff out he knows not to mess with it. i learned because my friends son comes over and gets in EVERYTHING, because she doesnt have anything down low in her house. Her son is mean anyways and always causes trouble. so he might know better but would rather be hurtful anyways!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009