When did your son start talking?

My nephew is 16 months and he understands things but he doesn't say any words yet. Not even Ma Ma. Meanwhile I know of 2 girls that are already say sentences. Is he slow or are they fast?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 12:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 15 months and is no where near saying sentences. She does say words though - mama, dada, baba, phone, baby, doggie, kitty, book, pooh, tigger.....they are not all clear though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• children should all be clearly speaking in full setences around the age of three i would not worry about it as long as there is continual progress.... I have a 23 month old he began speaking around eight months and has developed since then also a thought do others speak for him if so then there is no reason to speak and this can inhibit it as well best of luck to you
    Rochelleyboo

Answer by Rochelleyboo at 1:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Kids vary dramatically. By 18 months, the child should have 10 to 20 words. These words may not be understandable as we we say them but used consistently for the same object (i.e. "baba" might be bottle). If that milestone isn't met, discussing with the doctor would be a good idea. Some recommend evaluation by Early Intervention (or equivalent) at that point (as ours did) while others wait until 2.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009