I've gotta hear the answers to this...................

What about a flat tax, is unfair?

What is the rationalization for our current progressive tax structure?

Why is it fair to take more tax from someone just because they worked harder or smarter and made more money?

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 12:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because for someone making minimum wage to lose 50 bucks a week oyt of their pay may mean the difference between feeding their kids or not...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have no idea why anyone would be against it. The poor would not pay any taxes so they would still have that 50 bucks. The rich would pay even more and they could not get out of paying it with all the loopholes we have in our current tax code. They buy a luxury jet they pay taxes on it. They go spend 200k on a shopping spree they pay taxes on it. I would wager those against the Fair Tax have not read it or used the calculator that shows how it would effect them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you're only making minimum wage as the head of household....you have failed in life!
    Anonymous

That is a horrible thing to say!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• http://fairtaxcalculator.org/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I SUPPORT the Fair Tax.

BUT, in order for it to work, a CLEAR taxable income base (not your gross income) needs to be established, and write-offs and credits like EIC, need to be canceled. It should be VERY difficult NOT to pay an equal percentage of your net income.

I also think government benefits, like welfare, food stamps, and other subsidies should be taxed according to the FAir Tax rate! Unemployment benefits can be taxed, so you do not end up having to pay come tax time, so why not other government handouts. IF you continue to fall below the established cut off point, then you get your taxes back--but it shouldn't be easy.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Well minimum wage isn't meant for life.Minimum wage is mostly for young kids.I can see if say a married woman stays home with the kids and suddenly is single and has to start fresh having a min wage job for a few yrs or just for some extra pocket money but for someones entire life nah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Sorry I confused the flat tax for fair tax. Flat tax would be better than what we have now but the Fair Tax is what we need in our country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I am totally ok with this. Say 10% or something like that. 10% of my pathetic income is nothing compared to 10% of Donald Trumps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Any tax that DOESN'T punish people for improving their situations. would work!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009