What baby food did you first start out with, after the rice cereal?

Pretty soon it'll be time for my DD to start and I know they say start with veggies. Just curious what other moms started with.

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 12:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We never used the rice cereal. My husband fed our baby a tiny chunk of watermelon at 6 1/2 months. About a week later, we fed him some sweet potatoes. I don't remember what we did after that. He only got food about once a week for the first few months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I started with normal - green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas. I did each for at least three days before moving on to the next kind just in case there was an allergic reaction you knew what it was from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Our ped gave us a specific order: He told us to give rice/oatmeal/barely cereal for 2 weeks straight and then give vegetables (green beans, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash) for 3-5 days each to see if there was a food allergy and then to give fruits (apples, peaches, prunes, banans, pears) last. He said that you can mix old foods with new food too. We've deviated a little, but otherwise things seem to be going fine.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I started with veggies too, probably sweet potatoes (i don't really remember); but I've read recently that experts are saying now that it doesn't make a difference which you start with. I did the same with all 4 of mine. My older two (boys) both prefer veggies to fruits, and my daughter prefers fruits and dislikes most veggies, so far my 9 month old prefers fruits to veggies - but as you can see from my experience, from the same start I ended up with different results. I think a lot of their likes/dislikes may be genetic.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Sweet potatoes, avacado, pumpkin, green beans.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i started off with bananas! then some applesauce. and stuff. my daughter refuses to eat cereals so i just gave her some of those next step foods so now shes eating chicken and beef baby food too. but it is kinda whatever you feel your baby will want.
    sarahbumblebee

Answer by sarahbumblebee at 2:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i never did the rice because DD didnt like it off a spoon. but she lovessss oatmeal. shes 5 months so i give her plain oatmeal mixed with formula in the afternoon. then i mix formula, oatmeal, and a fruit or veggie in a bowl and give it to her at night. she seems to really like applesauce and sweet potatos. i think the first veggie i gave her was green beans and she liked them too. peaches broke her out. and i have yet to try bananas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Avacado.. technically its a fruit but not a sweet one.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Isis' first food was avocado. Then banana, the sweet potatoes, and then some other stuff. She wasn't introduced to grain until the sixth food, and that was home made barley cereal.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 9:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2009