What do you do for extra money?

I have home businesses but the economy is making my sales sluggish. What other ideas do you have for little things I can do to make money? I know you can clean houses or babysit... what else do you do?

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I make and sell crafts. We also sell campfire wood in front of our house as well as worms for fishing. My niece does the EBAY thing. I also take clothes to the local consignment shop But that is not cash right now that is cash in 4-8 weeks. Mu DH is a mechanic so he fixes cars on the side. Find your talent and sell it. It can be cake baking, cookie making candy/fudge making,sewing/clothing repair. Are you artistic can you paint or draw a portrait. Do you take awesome pics? Just sit down and think about what you are good at and love to do then run with it.

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I work with ASP National. I'm a lead generator. There is no charge to work, you do have to apply and you do have to interview.

I love it cause I offer dental/vision savings that many have lost due to insurance crises and budget cuts going on everywhere.

On top if that people get awesome freebies(Camera cell phone & 500 minutes!).

pass_along_card_budget_minded2-1.jpg picture by EmmaWeekly

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• m-avi

I  have a started another work at home article series on eHow.  They contain excellent ideas, resources and information.  You can check what I have so far here in my Journal here at Cafemom: 

Work at Home Series

Answer by m-avi at 1:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You can search for jobs that match your skillset and have a telecommute or remote option. Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with three lines of business; I am doing lead generation for a sales and service organization; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Actually, wouldn't it be better to build your business by doing more networking?

• rkoloms Thanks for the advice. I've done a ridiculous amount of networking and advertising for my businesses and for a while I was bringing in several thousand a month and now since around Christmas 08 I've been barely making a thousand a month. Any ideas on where else I can network? I think I've tried it all! lol

Thanks for all of your ideas! Keep them coming!

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I do lawn work and clean houses not a lot but enough so I can have a couple extra bucks.

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• ebay, i don't do it a lot, but some of my daughter's clothes/shoes have sold well.

Answer by BandME at 3:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I am with Procard International. With the economy the way it is, not only are people interested for a work at home opportunity but they are also looking into the discount medical, dental, vision, etc. you receive with Procard. Check out my website at for more info

Answer by craftykidsclub at 9:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I work online, it's free and easy. It won't make you rich, but I make about an extra $1000/month without much effort. Free Money Online

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009