does any one have suggestions on how to discipline a two year old

i have tried distinguishing between bed time and time out by turning the lite on and giving him a toy placing him in his crib until he stops acting out of control but i feel like this may not be working... I am not one who is into physical correction because i am a single mother who dealt with my ex spanking my child at two months old i dont know if i should get over it and do it or if there is a better solution if anyone has any advice please let me know

Rochelleyboo

Asked by Rochelleyboo at 1:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i put my daughter in 2 minute time outs, in a chair away from tv and toys. it works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt, if she gets up she goes back and gets another minute added on. if it doesnt work then she doesnt get her toysfor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Wow two months, thats crazy!! Um have you tried sitting him in a chair? or making him stand in the corner?
    Anonymous

• Ya time out should be in a place where they are away from toys or their comfort zone. Like on the bottom stair or on a chair in a corner.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• When you use a child's bedroom for timeout, it becomes a prison instead of a refuge. You can designate a corner as the "sad corner", or pick up a cheap plastic chair to use as the "sad chair" for time outs.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• time out is most likely your best bet, if he's just doing something like getting into things he's not supposed to be in then you quickly distract him with something else. if he's doing something that will hurt him you should say don't touch or don't do because it will hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• dealing with a two year old its hard, more when you are a single parent. i have a 21 months old that get time out from her daddy and well she hate it but it work with her (if come from him) it doesnt work with me she laugh and dares me to get off the chair, so i decided to do it on my way taking her toys and turning off her shows and her music until she listen to me and behave, I hit her once on her hand because she bit me and well wasnt ok for any of us; she learn not to bite and i learn that feeling of guilt so hitting her its not the answer. give your oddler a time out or just take the toys
    jhewitt

Answer by jhewitt at 1:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2009