What can I do to prepare my son for Kindergarten next year?

I have one year until my child begins school. Any advice on what I need to focus on this next year to get him ready? He stays at home with me and is very clingy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in

• Socializing him would be good so he'll be comfortable at drop off. Holding a crayon/pencil. If he could write his name that would be encouraging for him. Knowing the alphabet (upper case at least) and counting as far as you can get him to count.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You need to get him some play dates , take him to the local park and maybe even sign him up for Pre-k.
    you could also take walks past the school and let him play on the playground on the weekends. Attend any open houses that the school may have like school plays, fund raisers etc etc
    as for learning teach him the basics colors letters numbers and his name the school will do the rest
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• ABCs, numbers at least to 20, knowing how to write first name, sight words (this will help a lot)

To get him used to going somewhere without you, the thing I did for ours last year was have him go to some Vacation Bible Schools in June to get used to the idea of being in a "school" type environment before he actually had to go to school

Next July go into the school, talk to the office and say you want to show him around and ask where the Kindergarten wing is (they usually let you wander around), show him the K rooms and anything else he may need to know about (nurse's, cafeteria). Repeat this again towards the middle or end of August (depending on when school starts for you guys.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Also, when you do school shopping next year, make sure you get him some cool new underwear he picks out, new socks, and at least a new shirt, as well as his backpack and stuff - when you buy it say "you're going to get to use this cool stuff for Kindergarten" Mention it again and again the week before school actually begins ("Next week you get to wear your new underwear and use your cool backpack!) It'll totally get him hyped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Check into preschools in your area. Also if ask family members like grandparents to babysit for about an hour while you do some grocery shopping or something Sometimes asking people he is familiar with helps with separation anxiety.

who-me

Answer by who-me at 2:16 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Pre school
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2009