baby foods

i started my son on baby cereal and he is 4 months old thats ok isnt it? and then u start on other things at 6 months right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i started my son on cereal at 4 months and he is now on baby foods carrots green beans and also fruit they say wait on the fruit and do veggies first so they get to likein the veggies....i also feed him the meats he gets veggies and meats for dinner cereal for breakfst and a fruit for luch i usually do it about 30-40 min after the bottle
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 1:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Our pediatrician told us to go ahead and start solids at 4 months, giving it to the baby 1 or 2 times a day. Did yours? Just remember that even though you are giving solids, formula or breastmilk is still their main source of nutrition. Our ped gave us a specific order: He told us to give rice/oatmeal/barely cereal for 2 weeks straight and then give vegetables (green beans, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash) for 3-5 days each to see if there was a food allergy and then to give fruits (apples, peaches, prunes, banans, pears) last. He said that you can mix old foods with new food too. It's fun watching them eat isn't it??
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• you will get different answers on here. I started all 4 of my children on rice cereal at 4 months, and then added in the veggies and fruits not that long after. I did wait on the meats (I didn't like the smell, so I waited until he was eating small pieces and then fed him small bits of what we were having for supper). As mentioned by the PP, a lot of people say to give them veggies first, but I don't think it really matters.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Most peds will tell you start baby food at 4 months, but really The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) acknowledges that there are no "strict" age guidelines on introducing solid foods to your baby. However, the AAP, along with the CDC and the WHO do recommend that you offer nothing but breast milk and/or formula until you baby is at least 6 months old.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009