So now that many republicans are voting for Sotomayor...

Do you understand that calling her a racist and attacking her record were only part of a smear campaign?

If you are being honest, I would like to know how that makes you feel. The republicans went in, HARD, calling her every name in the book and making people believe she was not qualified and it was never true....Do you SEE that?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't see that. I see a confirmation hearing where they didn't hold back. They were trying to see just how easily she would cave. She is asking to be on a court where she will be targeted worse than they had to give. If she could stand up to a Senate hearing, she doesn't need to be a justice sitting on the highest court in our land. I, for one, am glad they weren't scared, tippy-toey, politically correct, or "nice". It shows they all understood the process!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You just really are off your rocker and that is the kindest way that I can put it.

I am embarrassed to reply to this, it is soooooooooo illogical and not thought out AT ALL.

I am a big fan of logic...................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Sweet, how is this different than anyone else who has been put up for the Supreme Court? From what I can see, both sides attack the opposite sides' nominee like rabid dogs. It seems to be precedent. *shrug*

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I am embarrassed to reply to this, it is soooooooooo illogical and not thought out AT ALL. I am a big fan of logic...................

rolling on floorReally? I would have never noticed Grace.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

calling someone a racist and unfit,,,then voting FOR her.....is NOT the norm

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Would you rather the Republicans didn't vote for her? I think she is racist, BTW. Considering I'm a Puerto Rican, just like her, I find that difficult to say, but I believe it.

She IS otherwise qualified, though. I haven't bothered to follow the proceedings because I knew she would be chosen, regardless.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It is all part of the confirmation hearings, but only ONE republican voted for her, Sen. Graham and he even told her you will get the votes if you don't have a meltdown. They weren't calling her a racist they were questioning her on why she would say such a thing and yes what she said was a racist statement. I think you are just trying to start something, if a democrat said something like that to a republican nominee you wouldn't be paying any attention now would you??
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I believe that a wise white man, with the richness of experience, would often come to a better conclusion.

Does this sound racist to you?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Of course it does loving but don;t expect her to say it does
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I believe that a wise white man, with the richness of experience, would often come to a better conclusion. Does this sound racist to you?

You didn't print the entire quote (it ended with "IN THIS SITUATION) and it was in reference to sexual and racial discrimination...I understand CONTEXT, do you?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009