Did you pre-wash your infants clothing?

I don't think I did with my 6 year old...hubby and I don't remember. I'm getting ready for the new baby and wonder how necessary it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, I didn't. When my DS was a baby we were rather poor (didn't seem like it then, but we were) and we had to go to the laundromat to do clothes. I couldn't waste the money on clothes that were basically clean already. I also never, ever bought the baby detergents either. My kids didn't have sensitive skin, so I was lucky. I guess if they had, I might have.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Pffft, I did with all the hand me downs and such, but it was only because my mom insisted and the clothes smelled like cigarettes. They had been stored in cardboard boxes in a smoker's house, so the clothing had picked up that disgusting musty smell. Eww.

But stuff I've gotten since she was born? Nah.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I pre-washed my infants clothes.. I do that with all purchased clothes. New or used... especially used. xD
    But, like Lesli, I didn't buy baby detergent either, to be quite honest, I just found out there WERE specific baby detergents out there... Heh. My son doesn't have sensitive skin, and the detergent we use works just fine for him.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i only washed a few onsies of newborn onsies and like two outfits, i didnt want to take the tags off of everything because i wasnt sure how long it would take her to grow out of them. so i mean just wash a few pieces until after the baby is born then you can figure out what size they will be. =)
    sarahbumblebee

Answer by sarahbumblebee at 2:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I did at first but then i stopped
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 2:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yes, I wash all new clothes that come into our house - whether they're for our baby or for us, new or hand me down. But I didn't use "baby detergent (I can't stand the smell!)." I bought some Tide Free and Clear for a few months (which has no dyes, no perfumes) for our whole family's laundry, and then went back to our regular Tide - no problems.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• well I have sensitive skin and if I don't use free and clear my arm get's all of these acne like bumps on them (I'm about to get them again because my usband but regular soap and then lost the receipt so i can't take it back but i'll live). So to answer your question yes i pre-wash ALL brand new clothes (which BTW bothers the heck out of my husband because he thinks they're clean but honestly people have been touching them/trying them on and alot of people these days don't practice very good hygiene habits). And I think I actually prewashed my sons stuff twice not puposely though I had just forgotten that I had already washed them and my DH didn't remind me until they were all in the washer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son and I have really sensitive skin and most clothes, whether it's mine or his are scratchy when we buy them so yes I always wash them first and use fabric softener to make them more comfortable for us. I just don't feel right putting him in brand new clothes because I feel that they are dirty.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009