my grandson is 6 and still poos in his pants im at my wits end i need help knowing what to do

cams-granny

Asked by cams-granny at 2:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some children don't "get" the message that they need to have a bowel movement. Explain to him the signs (pressure down there) and encourage him to visit the bathroom hourly. If he has a bowel movement around the same time everyday, be sure to make sure he is going to the bathroom at that time of day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• To help your child learn to poop on the potty, you should first make sure that he isn't constipated. If he has bowel movements that are sometimes big, hard and painful to pass, then he may just be afraid to use the potty to have her BMs. Increasing the amount of fluid and fiber in his diet, and perhaps using a stool softener, can help make him bowel movements softer and easier to pass if this is a problem. Continue to let him have bowel movements in his pants, but then empty his poop into the potty to show him where it goes. You can then remind him that 'poop goes in the potty.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Children can enter the D3 cycle at any point. Sometimes it begins with an uncomfortable experience passing a hard stool created by a change in diet or a brief illness. Sometimes the starting point is simply the fear of sitting over the gaping hole in the potty to poop. Sometimes children are engaged in playing and choose to ignore the urge to poop, holding the stool in just to delay interrupting a vitally important game. Whatever the starting point, they end up having a painful experience.
    When the next urge arrives, the child decides to delay pooping in order to avert what happened last time. The longer he delays, the firmer the next stool becomes. When he finally does poop, the event is even more uncomfortable -- confirming his fears. What he dreaded was true!
    Sometimes modifying the diet can result in soft enough stools to break the D3 cycle. I think its best to give dietary suggestions for this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• One excellent way to soften the stools is with mineral oil. The oil makes the stools slippery enough that the children can no longer delay and soft enough that the stools no longer hurt.
    Anonymous

• Take him to a dr. Does he poop in his pants everytime or occasionally? A friends of mines son did the same thing and she would discipline and spank him. After going to the dr, he has some medical problem that has to be treated. She has felt horrible about how she has treated him, and still has to remind herself of that when he has accidents.
    iluvmymacita

Answer by iluvmymacita at 2:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Wow! My kids were trained before their 3trd birthday, so I say good luck.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• this is not a potty training problem, so any comments related to potty training, arent helpful. Okay grandmom...I feel your pain for sure. My son is 7 1/2 and having some similar problems. He doesnt completely poop in his pants but he does hold it for long amts of time. Then a little comes out. I had him looked over by the ped. He was fine. He does suffer sometimes with constipation. That makes it harder. Also he gets playing and doesnt want to stop. He also told me that he sometimes cant tell that he needs to go until its too late. I think this is a multi faceted problem with multiple solutions. First, increase his fiber or give him one dose of Miralax. When you think he has pooped or is about to, make him sit on the potty. My son has to call me so I can check to see if hes pooped. I keep a mental track of his pooping too. Also sometimes pooping in the pants in an outward sign of an inner conflict.....CONT>
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Does he live with you? Is his life out of control in any way? Sometimes when young children are in a very dysfunctional family or low on the totem pole in birth order, they keep quiet about what is bugging them. BOYS are notorious for doing this. They dont speak up and say...HEY, that bothered me and they keep all their thoughts and emotions bottled up. We are not dysfunctional, but we are a large family. My son is the 5th youngest in the house, so he gets bulled sometimes by his big sisters. He then takes it out on his little brother. I noticed that he was getting skipped over sometimes in the attention dept because hes so darn quiet and easy going. I have to remember that hes important too and he wants my attention to. So this is what he does for attention. ALso when things are out of control, they control the only thing they know. So try the suggestions I gave you and make time everyday to sit down and talk with him. GL!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have family members whose kids can't feel when to go due to a medical problem. I think for them it required surgery, i'm not positive. I would go to the doctor just to rule that out because there's no point punishing or getting frustrated if it's something he really truly cannot do. If the doctors don't find anything, maybe they will have some good advice for you. I hope you can figure it out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009