Constipation

I have a 3.5 week old who hasn't had a bowel movement since Friday morning. I see him trying to push but nothing happens or he passes gas then cries. He'll even wake from a nap b/c he can't get relief.

I can't get ahold of my doctor for advice. I have tried the vasaline/thermometer trick but it was no help. We also tried a warm bath. And moving his legs in a bicycle motion and a tummy message.

rpggurleli

Asked by rpggurleli at 2:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi. My daughter had this problem when she was about that age. Give him warm water in a bottle or lay him on his tummy over a rolled up warm towel. The water helped my angel a lot and the warm rolled up towel gently pushed on her bowels helping it get moving.
    usmcwife2006

Answer by usmcwife2006 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• when the bicycle motion or massaging the tummy didnt work, after consulting the dr., I offered my son gripe water (fennel, chamomile and ginger: herbs that help with tummy pain and safe for babies). I got it at walgreens! just a teaspoon and it really helped. Gas drops are also safe.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my 8 week old was just constipated and the doctor told us to give him a little prune juice, so we got the gerber apple and prune juice bottles and gave him some of that. it worked! and i think he liked it, it was probably refreshing yano? we give him mylicon drops for gas too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• pear or prune juice!!!! and gripe water. all good remedies!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• about 2 oz of juice to 1oz of water. ALWAYS water down the juice.
    Anonymous

• juice is great an for baby always water down jucy juice is great and also gripe whater i learned the hard way suppositories are the last thing to do it hurts them soo much
    nanysmommy

Answer by nanysmommy at 1:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2009