Housebreaking my dog for a year!

Okay, so my hubby got a dog as a homecoming present after deployment. I never wanted another dog, but it's here. Well I have tried everything to housebreak this damn dog! I tried training pads, crate training, taking the dog out every hour on the hour and now I am even trying diapers on the dog! My toddler daughter is currently with her grandparents and I don't want her getting in the dogs feces or urine! My husband refuses to get rid of the dog and if I do it myself, there will be a huge fight! So what do I do? It has been a year!!! I am going crazy. I find 4 big poop piles and my floor will be covered in pee by morning! Please help me!

usmcwife2006

Asked by usmcwife2006 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Not sure what breed you have, but generally a year old pup (especially small breeds) is still going to be unreliable. By now they should know to go outside, but will not be totally reliable for some time yet. The idea is to never give the dog a chance to go inside. So if you are home, you should know where the dog is at all times. If you are unavailable to supervise the dog, then he/she should be in the crate.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree with the pp. I also think that the training pads are the stupidest thing ever and only teach the dog to go in the house. People spend so much time teaching them to use the pads IN the house and then punish them for going IN the house. They should always from day one be taken outside to potty. Keep the dog in the crate overnight or he will never learn and make the sure the crate isn't too big.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• The other two posts are good, but there are some places that I feel could be elaborated on. I don't mean to butt in or correct, just to offer some more info in greater detail.

To give you some background, I bought a rat terrier puppy last April that was paper trained, and it took 8 MONTHS to potty train her. I tried every method I knew to prevent having to buy a crate, and I'll tell you, I finally resorted to getting the crate, and it took 2 weeks from that point.

I bought a cat crate, (which is just big enough for the 9lb dog to lay down in) and kept her in it the whole time I'm away at work, dinner, etc, because a dog will NOT poop where it sleeps. I kept 2 shoestrings with ends tied together, one tied to my ankle or belt loop, one to her collar. You can do a leash, whatever. Keep the dog with you every moment you're home. Even to the bathroom with you, because the dog will see that he can't get away to go on his own.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You'll need to let him out of the crate first thing in the morning, and allow yourself 10mins to "walk" him. Hook him on the leash, and walk. If it's down the road or just around the yard. Don't just stand there, but literally make him walk, as walking encourages them to "go." If he doesn't go in that 10mins, put him back in the crate. He needs to associate getting out of the crate with going out to go potty. Also, while you're home and he's tied to you, he will learn that his place is with you, and you'll be able to recognize the signs that he needs to go. Once he's outside and does go outside, praise him like a maniac. Get him wound up and excited, and rub, rub, rub! It's never too early to reprimand him for going in the house, either. After a year, the punishment should be pretty harsh. My DH & I are spankers, but only on the hiney, & we make sure they feel it, but not to hurt them.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I don't agree with those that said a year old pup generally isn't reliable. Other than dachshunds I know nothing about small breeds. My dogs are both medium sized dogs and they were both 100% reliable at about 6 months old. The only accidents we've had in the house since they were housebroken have been when they had upset stomachs and no one was home. I think you need to start over and act like the dog is a puppy again. Leash him to you or keep him in whatever room you're in (close doors, use baby gates, whatever) and don't let him out of your sights. When he acts like he needs to go, take him out on a leash and when he does his business give him a super duper yummy treat and tell him he's a good boy like it's the best thing in the world. When you take him out, take him to the same spot and don't play. You're out there to potty and that's it. CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Also take him out after he gets up from napping, after eating, after playing, etc., and about every two hours since he is a bit older, every hour is a little much. If he doesn't go when you take him out bring him back in and don't let him out of your sight. Take him out again after about 15 minutes and try again. Get some Nature's Miracle or something similar and clean your carpet where he normally goes inside to get all the smell up. Just because you can't smell his pee there, doesn't mean that he can't and he'll continue to go there since it smells like pee. Crate him at night and when no one is home and make sure the crate is only large enough for him to stand up, turn around, and lay down. Any bigger and he can pee in one end and lay in the other. Once he's reliable you can make the crate larger. A lot of crates come with a partition that you can use to make it smaller.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I tried the crate though. And every time we had to bathe her in the morning. She knows to go out but won't do it. She's a medium sized dog but she really is stupid. My husband is the spanker in the house. That doesn't even do anything. She still just wags her tail, even when she's getting spanked. My dog is a small dog and she was fully housebroken by 3 months. I never have a problem with her. But this other dog is terrible! I mean, chewing EVERYTHING! My husband says to make sure there's nothing for her to chew but I'd have to get rid of EVERYTHING to do that. I'm just ready to get this dog out. I never wanted her, she was just brought into the house....so I am at wits end here.
    usmcwife2006

Answer by usmcwife2006 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I got the dog at 3 months of age and have been trying to train her for a year. I have trained dogs before so as I said. I am at wits end here.
    usmcwife2006

Answer by usmcwife2006 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2009