Do you buy your kids new clothing to start the new school year?

yashibella

Asked by yashibella at 2:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I usually do. I weed out clothes twice a year and sell the outgrown ones on ebay. I generallly shop all year round looking for good deals and off season clearance. I hold onto clothes if I buy them out of season. I think about school clothes in Feb when all the winter and fall stuff goes on clearance. By the time school comes, we usually only need a few things. I buy new socks and underwear and shoes EVERY YEAR. I hate my kids wearing socks that are dirty on the bottoms or with holes and I generally feel that underwear should be replaced once or twice a year. My girls are wearing uniforms this year so we will likely take advantage of the uniform swap at the school each year. The best time to buy jeans is in Feb March, especially if your kids like name brands. My girls do and I am not paying $59 for a pair of jeans, so I buy them off season so I only pay about $20 for abercrombie jeans. You gotta know what size to plan for
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son isn't in school yet, but when he is I would like to get him atleast 1 brand new outfit. The rest will probably come from yard sales and second hand stores so I don't go broke. lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yes, my 13 year old daughter likes clothes from Abercrombie and Hollister, which is expensive, so she doesn't get much. My boys aren't pick, so they get more.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 3:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No..only if he needs it. I'm not starting a "tradition" of buying clothes just for school. We shop for him throughout the year when he needs new things.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son starts school this year. I'm not going crazy on new school clothes, I won't start that either.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 3:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• We buy new shoes (sneaker/shoes that are dark colored - nice enough for church but still good play shoes) - one pair per child. We buy one new new shirt for the first day of school. And then I'll get whatever they need (pants, shirts, sweaters, gym clothes, etc.) at consignment. Oh, and usually new underwear and sometimes socks.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My kids are in private school so they wear uniforms. I buy new uniforms if they need them.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 5:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Grandma in CA sends my two girls 3 or 4 new outfits at the beginning of school, at Christmas and for their birthdays in the Spring. There is usually a pair of shoes involved in each of those. I keep them in underwear, socks, basics, sneakers and I'm stuck buying the new winter coat each year. We live in the midwest so sweaters, jackets, and socks are essential to warmth in the winter. Without Grandma's help, my children would not be fashionable and would just be clothed. Since she has no other way to be in their lives (according to her) this is her way of being there almost everyday. They LOVE the packages they get from her.
    Blondie90210

Answer by Blondie90210 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No, I like to be like other moms on here and go searching yard sales for other people's used clothing. My kids never have anything new, because it's cheaper to get old used stuff.

j/k. I hate hand-me-downs. YEs, my kids get new clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No, unless they wear out their uniforms and need new ones. Otherwise I pick up clothes as they need them throughout the year. We rarely ever go into a store to just get hundreds of dollars of clothes. I don't think we've done that since our oldest started kindergarten (spend like $200 on clothes) but she needed them since none of the clothes she had fit her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009