Is volunteer work as good as paid work as far as work experience?

I plan to stay at home for the next 10 years but I don't want to have to work minimum wage retail when I do go back to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends on whether it has any relevance to the job you ultimately apply for. For instance, I volunteered as a vet assistant in college, which was directly relevant to my applications for vet school. Had I volunteered in a nursing home... not so much. But that experience would have been relevant for jobs like nursing or CNA.

If you're going to be a SAHM, perhaps volunteering in your child's classroom will be helpful in you getting a job as a teacher's aide or something similar.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Absolutely. I have some articles you might be interested in reading as well:

How to Find Work Experience as a Stay at Home Mom

How to Get an Education Without Going to School

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• 10 years...noone can tell you what things will be like in 10 years........try to earn a degree online from home so that you can have at least something backing you up when you re enter the work force. having volunteer experience will be good but if a degree is required for a job then no, it wont do sh*t for you.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Yes! Not only that, being a stay at home mom has also helped you develop skills that employers value, like time management, logistics and budgeting. I do have a couple of thoughts regarding your plan to stay home for ten years. First, your kids will need you to be around the most between the ages of 12 and 17. Second, there are no guarantees that your re-entry to the workforce will be smooth or easy.

I strongly recommend going to the library and checking out "The Feminine Mistake" or a similar book; their are strong financial risks associated with leaving the paid workforce for a long period.

If you can continue at your current postion part-time (maybe even in a job-share), to help keep your skills up to date, that would be so much better than dropping out of the workforce for ten years.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009