Tell me what you think about Hookah

The people who do it say it's not harmful. However there are a lot of articles about how the tar and carbon monoxide levels are worse than cigarettes.

Much like the tanning bed debate, it seems like those who enjoy it are not phased by the warnings. And the people who have not tried it (obviously) are the ones who take the warnings seriously.

Is it all a case of "hearing what you want to hear?"

What do you think about hookah? Have you tried it? Do you get a buzz? Do you do it regularly? Would you be OK if your kids do it when they are teens?

I'm interested in hearing all opinions and knowledge.
thanks.

Julie411me

Asked by Julie411me at 3:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Health

• Hey Julie!! Okay, at the Prevention Resource Center here's what the CDC says -

A hooka is a type of water pipe. This pipe cools the smoke so it feels less harsh, but the water doesn't take away the chemicals in the tobacco. Regular hookah smokers have a higher rate of lip and gum cancer. A piece of charcoal is placed on top of the tobacco when you smoke from a hookah. A smoker breathes the carbon monoxide and chemicals from the charcoal also. Hookah smokers are 8 times more likely to develop lung cancer than nonsmokers. You don't have to inhale the smoke to be exposed to nicotine. It is easily absorbed through the lining of the mouth; mucous membranes readily absorb nicotine.

I wouldn't let my kids do it...after age 18, they will make the decision for themselves, but I wouldn't let them smoke so I wouldn't let them use a hookah. I actually don't know anybody that uses one or even where to fine one though!! :)
    LeighAnne3

Answer by LeighAnne3 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I've tried it. I used to go to hookah bars 2-3x a week. Then I bought one and smoked at home 2-3x a week with friends. I wouldn't let my teenager do it, only cause legally you have to be 18+. It's probably not good for you, but it's better than cigarettes(only cause you smoke less).
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Oh my. I didnt know such a thing still existed in the USA. I don't get out much. I thought it was a far-eastern kind of thing and maybe a fad in the 60's during the Hippy days. So-I went to Google and read a bit. I think it is just as unhealthy as smoking anything,personally. I wouldn't try it. It took me over thirty five years to stop smoking regular cigareetes. Don't want to get involved anymore! Yukkk.....
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009