Don't you think some people seriously overreact about some things.?

I was just watching the news... yes the NEWS and they were talking about Jessica Simpson. Apparently she said something about being an 'Indian Giver' now all the Native American people are pissed off. How stupid is that? I think they're overreacting. It wasnt a racial slur or anything. Millions of kids grow up in this country saying that. I did. AND guess what My Dad is full blood Indian as is his family. Im only half but I dont care as im sure my family doesnt. STUPID PEOPLE out there.. Jeez!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Entertainment

• Wow really? That is crazy, she is only being pointed out cause she is a celeb. If I said it on the street or even on tv I bet I wouldnt be pointed out as a racist, some people man. Got nothing better to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I say that all the time....whats the big deal? I am part indian too. Several of my great great great grandparents were full blooded indian. Doesnt bother me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• its because shes a celeb and they want money :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i never heard that sayin but why are people so dang sensitive, if it would have been like "im not cracker giver" no one would have said a word lol yea i know that was lame
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• "indian giver" is in fact a racist term. It began many, many years before any of us were born. Indians would LOAN white settlers items until they got settled. When they requested them back the white settlers became angry. It was the settlers who did not understand, yet, they lashed out at the indians and im[plied they have no honor and are untruthful.
    To ignore this term as a racial slur is only adding to the problems of inequality in this country. ALL racial slurs have to stop being tolerated. ALL the time by EVERYONE.
    PS..I don't give a crap WHO said it..or in what context...it is a problem period.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• the news sux man
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 8:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• What I find so funny is that the phrase "Indian giver" is a slur against European people, not American Indians. It means to give something to the Indians and then take it back, which is what the white man did with lands he gave the Indians and then decided he wanted for himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• RETARDED is now mentally challenged, INDIAN is Native American, so what is East Indian?,
    HANDICAPPED is now a dirty word and we should say physcially challenged. And we try to follow this crap but really, doe the handicapped person feel better that he's physically challenged? It's not changing the circumstances. ORIENTALS are now Asians and BLACKS are African Americans. My black friends call each other black and don't care if I say black or African. At some point we need to draw the line, it's absurd.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I'm 100% Native American. I'm not complaining. I haven't heard anyone else complain. I did find it kind of immature for her to say but that's where that ended. Please don't assume that because some people complained, ALL Native Americans feel the same. Kind of like how some people think "White trash" is racist and some don't. Not all white people get upset about it and even use that term.
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 12:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "INDIAN is Native American, so what is East Indian?,

" East Indian would be....East Indian. The reason they prefer to be referred to as Native American is because some genius thought he was in India and started calling them Indians. Some of the Indigenous people now go by their original names and don't refer to themselves as Native American since some people made a stink about that term saying "Well I was born here so that must make me Native American too." Like the Navajo are Dine. Not dine but Din-yeh.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009