can your toddler swim, when are they old enough for lessons?

my dd can't swim yet, she is 27 months. when would she benefit most from swimming lessons?

BandME

Asked by BandME at 4:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• with a pool in the yard I started at 6 months... teach them to roll over and float... adding clothes so by the end the toddler can float with pants,shoes and shirt on .... then look for a regular "swim" class ... my goal was to teach my child to survive if he fell in the water... to help him I would blow in his face.. that would cause him to gasp and hold his breath, then a very quick dunk in the water... we would do this for several weeks.. then he would be use to having water on his face... we would then blow dunk and twist him to come face up... then he would learn to just float with arms and legs out... then you can add clothing... mine is a great swimmer now... good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 4:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• you can find infant swimming lessons for even babies over 3mo...lol as far as actually learning to SWIM....im guessing its four or older....they like them to be potty trained for the actual lessons...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My toddler can swim but she still needs me to help keep her head up when she gets tired. She doesn't get very far but she knows what to do. She is 22 months and I am planning swimming lessons soon.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think that 27 months is a good time to start swimming lessons, you'll just need to find a place that specializes in infant/toddler swim classes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2009