Fighting sleep

My six month old is just now starting to fight sleep. When i go to put him to sleep he screams and crys. I do not agree witht the cry it out method cause he is still so little what can i do?

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a really hard time when my son was fighting sleep too. I hated how sad he sounded and I wanted to keep getting him up and walking around with him, trying to comfort him. But sleeping without a crutch is something that all babies need to learn. It's hard I know, but you're doing the right thing if you let him cry it out. Babies have to learn how to soothe themselves-and this is the way they learn that the most. It's really hard as parents to hear your baby cry himself to sleep. But it won't always be this way!!! Try to be patient and do what's best for your sweet baby.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 4:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Try letting him cry for maybe 15 min and go from there. Or less if you're not comfortable. I was like that at first too, running in as soon as she make a sound. But now we let her cry for 10 15 min, usually it's less, and she's out for the night. She's 4 and a half months.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 4:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Try changing his bedtime routine to either a different time or do things different when you put him down. It might also just be that he is not tired, hungry or not relaxed enough to go to sleep. It could be many things, so you just have to try different things and see what works for you.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009