What do you think of this?? is it entertaining or just random? lol - thoughts of a deployed airman's wife

Mowing the lawn.

Oh where do I begin?? Mowing the lawn…words cant explain how much I HATE mowing the lawn, I had never mowed a lawn before my husband deployed, never even used a lawn mower. It really wasn’t hard just time consuming..I wouldn’t mind it so much if the grass didn’t grow so fast and our yard wasn’t huge! We must keep the lawn kept otherwise you will get a ticket from base housing and I understand, we should keep our housing nice….but still how I hate mowing the lawn, the first time I tried it was a complete disaster, who would of thought it would be such a fiasco? I mean really? We have an electric mower, which we decided would be a smart purchase since gas prices were out of this world, I mean who wants to give away their first born just to mow their lawn? Not me. So after untangling the long orange cord I mowed the front lawn, it was pretty easy but wow was I tired and man was it hot outside

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• so onto the backyard which I might add is about 5 times the size of the front..so I go to plug in my cord into the outside outlet and I open the cover to find a wasps nest inside..THANK goodness the flap slams back shut keep the wasp from attacking me, especially since im allergic… then I got to the next outlet, and something tells me to be cautious..so instead of opening it with my hand I kick it open, I kicked a little harder then intended and the lid goes flying off! And here come about 3 or 4 wasps completely pissed off chasing after me…of course me being allergic im scared shitless, my first thought is to run like hell so my 5’3 100lb self runs like hell and dashes over our 4 foot tall fence and my leg gets caught on the fence and that definitely hurt like a bitch but I don’t even notice it I just get up and keep running. I had a nice 3 inch wide 5 inch long bruise for about 4 weeks on that leg.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• CONTINUED SOME MORE - But to me it was well worth it to keep from getting stung, wasps are some nasty little buggers.
    Needless to say ive been permanently turned off to mowing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Lol, I know who u r! JK, that was a funny story though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Oh yes, the dreaded Mowing. We live on base housing also (Army) but we are lucky that once a weeks we have landscapers mow the front, so I only have to worry about the back.we've got tons of wasps and bee's too, my son was stung 3 weeks ago, luckily not allergic! My Dh is still home so its still his job, but next summer it will fall to me, yuck.
    Another problem I have is a black thumb. I cant keep the poor flowers alive! I put them in the ground cover them with dirt and water. what am I dong wrong lol I want alot of flowers in the front bed, but dont want to kill the poor things (or waste money)
    I have seen those electric mowers before and I gotta say they looked like a pain in the a$$
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• yeah I have a black thumb as well..I know its kinda bad but I was almost hoping it would work to my favor and the grass would die early so I wouldnt have to mow...lol horrible huh?? unfortunately no such luck yet, but I really like the electric mower...I kinda feel like im vacuuming honeslty lol the cord isnt too bad and the mower is super lightweight....we are eventually going to get a cordless electric, we just could afford one at the time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• OK Ladies. Here we go. Both, or all of you, get over to Wal Mart and buy some Real Kill Wasp and Hornet Killer. It shoots 25 feet and they drop on contact. The BEST time to do this is at sunset. When you know where the nests are, you can spray them down without having to touch them at all. It shoots way up into the eaves. Do on a calm, not windy day. It kills returning wasps, too. You need those outlets. All of them. If you absolutely cannot do it, SOMEONE has a 15 year old boy that will do it for you. Throw him a couple of bucks and he will giggle all the way home. He got to kill wasps AND got paid!
    I was in the military, not the wife of a deployed guy. My husband does travel for his job and occasionally I have to cut the grass. I do it with a smile because it is NOT MY JOB. I'm only doing it because. And he always loves me more when I do it the day he comes home because he was going to, but now doesn't have to!
    Blondie90210

Answer by Blondie90210 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I am lucky in a way. I am so allergic to grass and all things green I have an automatic pass to not have to mow ever. My asthma and allergies would send me to the ER immediately.
    Not sure what' I'd do if my dh was gone for an extended time, I guess I'd have to give my sister gas money and pay one of her boys to mow my yard.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• What base do you live on? Being in an airforce base, we get spoiled, somewhat. we dont mow our lawn or pay utilities yet, they are still working on that. but we dont mow our lawn they have ppl come and do it, unless u have a fence, then yea ur screwed. do u know anyone who would give u a hand?
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• our base isnt privatized yet so we have to mow our lawns ourselves and we dont have to pay utitilies or anything like that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009