Looking for ideas on how to baby proof a base board heater...

There is a small baseboard heater in my 9 month olds room.. I'm hoping to move him to his room on a mattress on the floor after his first birthday. I'm concerned about possible burns or cuts from the baseboard heater. Placing furniture around it would make it not work to well.. Been trying to come up with ideas for like a cage type thing i could maybe build around it, attaching it to the wall... wouldn't want it to be fun to climb. would like it to have small enough spaces that toys don't fit through.. but don't want stuck fingers either.. I'm not terribly handy.. Any ideas how to make it baby safe without causing more possible problems... like baby climbing it or something....???

iggles1967

Asked by iggles1967 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It really shouldn't get that hot to the touch. Millions of homes have baseboard heat, and people don't build huge contraptions around their baseboard heaters to protect their children from them. There's usually a few inches between the fins and the top cover, and that should keep your kid out of range of the hotter parts. Does your son have some problem that would make him not move his hand away if the heater feels hot? If not, he would move away before getting a burn.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Thank you SWasson... This is the first time i have had an infant around baseboard heating. Previously we lived in homes with central heat/air and the vents were near the ceiling... So it's all new to me...
    iggles1967

Answer by iggles1967 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Our whole house is baseboard heat. We never had trouble with babies or children being hurt.

Answer by Bmat at 7:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Our baseboard heaters in our apartment get hot enough to the touch that when a plastic bag leaned against one when we first moved in it melted it instantly.

Honestly, we didn't use the baseboard in our daughters room, we used a portable heater we could mount to the wall.. and she's still in a crib. (she's 18 months) But, better safe then sorry imo.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 8:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have baseboard heaters, and they definitely get hot! Last winter wasn't a problem, as my dd was only 5 months old when winter began...but the upcoming winter will be a problem. The only solution I have come up with is to block the one in the livingroom with the sofa. The one in her bedroom won't be turned on at all. I'll probably have to use a portable heater. I haven't really thought it through yet...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I don't know but my girls throw everything down into them. Take the cover off in the kitchen which scares me because they are sharp! Well maybe I should stop talking about it because they haven't actually done that for a few months but I've never had a problem with them reaching into it when it was on, just throwing things in it when it was on and that about scared me to death lol because I couldn't reach into it since it was hot. I had to come up with the dumbest things to "fish" things out last winter lol. Good luck. You should really be fine though.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2009