37 wkks and 4 days

im 37 wks and 4 days pregnant and still not dialated if i hit around 38 wks and still not dialating what will my doctor do? will he give me medicine to help my cervix along or will i have to wait until im overdue? what should i talk to him about doing? my back pain and my braxton hicks contractions are so painful i just want to die...what should i do?

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• UM 4O WEEKS IS FULL TERM SO HE WONT DO ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER THAT.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• And, you aren't considered over due until 42 weeks.. so like pp said he probably won't do anything until at least 40 weeks.. some won't do anything until 41
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 5:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Don't worry the braxton hicks contractions and back pain means that your body is getting ready and you'll diallate soon enough. I went into labor with my first at 38 weeks and four days and my water had broke, but when they checked me after 4 hours of labor I had JUST reached 1 cen. I wouldn't worry. Don't freak out and your doctor won't do anything this is the reason why most doctors now a'days don't check women anymore because it doesn't mean anything. You could still be overdue or you could have the baby tomorrow. I've always believed that you should just think during every braxton hicks that it's your body preparing you and just picture yourself dialating. The less stress the better you'll feel. Good luck! =)
    Mrs.Wills

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 5:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Plus the only reason why a doctor should EVER induce is if your over due, have complications, or for health risks.
    Mrs.Wills

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 5:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Your doc probably wont do anything unless there is a problem. Most wont do anything at all until you are 41-42 wks. Hang in there the last 2 wks feel longer than the first 9 months!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 6:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• sorry you are so uncomfortable but it really is best for baby to wait until s/he is ready to come out. could be 3-4 more weeks! my son was born at 41 weeks and i was really uncomfy the last 2 months but i wasn't at all interested in induction because it can pose risks. GL! it could be this week!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• There is no reason why you should be dilated now, dilation only matters during labor. You wont be overdue till after 42 weeks. Dilation before labor doesn't mean anything at all, you can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many weeks before labor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009