I have a 3 year old son and he has diahrrea for 5 days now and it hasnt got any better

I toke him to the emergency room and I told them that he had this diahrrea for 5 days and it has a strange ordor to them and they checked him out and told me that he has gastroenteritis and to give him Imodium and Gatorade. He complains of stomach pains and he hasnt ate anything all day and they also told me to cut the dairy products out. If anyone out there know a easier way to give my son imodium with him no spitting it back out please let me know and do you think I should take him to the doctor for a second opionion

Motheroftwo2002

Asked by Motheroftwo2002 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you can try the BRAT diet

B- Bananas
    R- Rice
    A- Applesauce
    T- Toast (plain no butter)

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Gatorade, pedialyte, juice or any other sugary drink will make it worse. Stick to plain water.

Let him eat all the starches and carbs he wants, no fatty foods. Don't try to force him to eat...if his stomach hurts it might be better that it's empty.

The foul odor makes me think of rotavirus. Is it yellow? Odor and yellow are the tell tale signs. And vomiting usually does follow if they start with diarrhea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It is yellow and do you think I should take him to the doctor
    Motheroftwo2002

Answer by Motheroftwo2002 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if u r giving him iomdium u can try crushing up and putting in something hes going to eat, its sounds like the bug to me my dd just got over it. if u give him gatorade cut it with water the sugar in it will make it worst try getting him to eat just plain clear broths for now the main thing isnt that hes eating but that he drinking and is staying hydrated u dont want him to ge dehydrated. as far as the squirts go if the er isnt worried then i wouldnt be unless there was blood in it. u can try to get a stool sample and make a app with a dr and take it in and have it tested.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009