Racism, What is it?

I have seen a lot of comments on here, because a person doesn't like someone they are a racist or if you don't think they are attractive, they are a racist? So I am curious, what everyone's view is on racism?

I have always thought that racism, was when someone or a group of people thinks they are better than another race. They look down on them and treat them as such. But it seems like the race card is thrown around a lot, especially if it is in regards to Obama.

In regards to Obama, it seems that it is assumed that if you don't like Obama, you must be a white racist, and they (those who don't care for him) are looked down on, is that not a little racist in and of itself.

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Yeah, pretty much all that. Not just thinking *your* race is superior, but generally hating all members of a particular race. If you dislike a black man for his personality, that does NOT make you racist against black people. If you dislike a black man because you think his skin is too dark and therefore he is "evil" or "lesser" than you, then yeah, that makes you just a little racist.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• There is a line you cross at some point that makes you officially a racist.

Example, if you say you don't think Michelle Obama is pretty you are not nessisarily a racist
    But if you say she looks like a monkey or call her a gorilla (have read both here multiple times) you are a racist idiot.

I think some of you make racist remarks but then say "I can't say anything about Obama without being called a racist" because you see others pull that card. But in fact you really are a racist pig.
    That does not make everyone that hates Obama a racist. But I think there are a chunk that are and give the rest of you a bad name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• *necessarily*

Sorry, just got fake nails and can't type for sh#t with them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I whole-heartedly agree that many of the people that do hate Obama are racist. It's an unfortunate truth that nobody wants to freely admit.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

I disagree, I don't "hate" Obama. I totally disagree with his politics and it makes no difference what his skin color is. The race card is very old and worn out. Maybe you should switch to "people hate him because his ears are too big"
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• To caitxrawks, how can you say that, you don't know these people personally. What do you call those people who happen to be black who can't stand him. Do they hate their own race? I am not trying to attack you, I just want to understand. I am white and I don't care for the man, and I have many many friends who are black on cafemom, as well as in my daily life who don't like him either. I don't hate the man I just don't like his views and policy. So am I a racist, cause I happen to be white? That statement seems to make no sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• LOL Carpy ..No it does not make one a racist if they disagree or do not like a person of another color.As for Obama I cannot stand his policies not even a bit.I cannot stand what he and the admin are doing to the country.Yes at time's thinking about it truely upset's and anger's me and I am doing all I can to be a voice in opposition to the things I cannot stand.If that make's me a "racist" in some people's delusional minds then so be it! I think there are racist of course and it is not only white racists...but I think moreso some use it as an excuse they just cannot believe not everyone agree's with his policies or when a voice of opposition make's a valid point it hits a nerve and all they have to say is "you just do not like him because he is black!" We saw this all through the campaign's.I have had to lmao when one say's that and turn;s out the person is black themselve's that disagree's with Obama...of course then
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• they have to be "uncle Toms"
    tnmomofive

• caitxrawks, I am one of the ladies that is VERY outspoken about my feelings toward Obama. I frequently get accused of being a racist. Honestly, I could care less. I am not a racist and I know I am not. The people closest to me would laugh at the very suggestion.

I freely admit to HATING what he is doing and is trying to do to the country I hold dear.

IMO some of the most racist people I have ever run across are the ones screaming racist or throwing around the race card themselves. It is almso MO that some of the most racist people are in fact black. I am not naming names. This is just a personal observation, bash if you wish, but you have no clue what I have observed in my life...so you will bash blindly and therefore appear foolish.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I also hate what Pelosi, Frank and comapny are doing. They are white....so I don't know how some would classify that.......................
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2009